Sci/Tech
 Weather
 Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Does the UK do enough for asylum seekers?
Updated 04 August 2003, 09.16

The BBC is showing lots of special programmes about asylum seekers in the UK on Wednesday 23 July.

Newsround will be all about asylum at 5.25pm too.

But it is a controversial subject.

Some people think too many are let into the country, using up money that should be spent on people already living here.

Others think that our country is in a position to help people not as lucky as we are, and we should do everything we can to help them.

But what do you think - do we treat asylum seekers fairly, or are too many of them allowed to stay here?

opening quoteAsylum Seekers are normal people and they are treated like dirt. They haven't done anything wrong yet people act like just because they come from a different country they are freaks - THEY AREN'T!closing quote
Nibz, 12, Belgium

opening quoteI think that we have too many asylum seekers in England, we should have stronger laws on asylum seekers. closing quote
Oliver, 10, Leeds

opening quoteI feel that asylum seekers who are in real danger should be allowed to come to Britain but leave when things have cooled over. However I don't believe that they should be allowed to come because they want to. They are offered houses when there are British people living rough which I don't like.closing quote
Clare, 13, Glasgow

opening quoteWhy should we turn them away? They have come to seek peace - they are normal on the inside. Do not judge them by their appearance - it is not right. Welcome them.closing quote
Hollie, 15, St. Ives

opening quoteAsylum seekers get all they need to survive. They are already enough of a drain on this country. Though I do feel sorry for them, the way people treat them and the way they are stereotyped against.closing quote
Kat, 13, Southampton

opening quoteYou on this chat are all talking about asylum seekers as if they are scum! Surely U would want to be accepted if you went to their country right? The English are so selfish.closing quote
Alicia-Paris, 13, Chorley

opening quoteI think we do more than enough for asylum seekers by letting at least some of them live here. Our country has too many problems of its own without getting involved in other countries. The problem is that we are too soft on asylum seekers which is why the majority come here.closing quote
Jon, 14, Kidderminster

opening quoteThe UK should just let asylum seekers do what they want. The only reason people do this is to try and get away from wars which aren't anything to do with them. No-one has the right to tell people which country to live in just because they weren't born there.closing quote
Sarah, 11, Oxford

opening quoteAlthough I feel for them, I don't like the fact Brits are being put second. People desperate in need of housing, medical treatment and other important things can't have them because we put so much money towards asylum seekers. They should come here, but our population needs to come first.closing quote
Joanne, 15, Leeds

opening quoteI think Tony Blair is being too kind to let more Asylum Seekers in this country, why can't other countries like Australia, America or France have their turn.closing quote
Paige, 12, Wolverhampton

opening quoteI think asylum seekers must be given a chance after all they are human no matter their skin colour or religion just give them chance.closing quote
Phil, 13, Luton

opening quoteI'm not judging every single asylum seker cos I know there are some genuine ones but it really annoys me when people who fought in the war and pay taxes get forced out of their nursing homes when asylum seekers are allowed in just to get benefits and have the nerve to moan that they're poorly treated.closing quote
Elizabeth, 15

opening quoteTrue asylum seekers deserve to be here, but unfortunately there are many who just come over for the benefits and take advantage of us. If they really are in need why not go to the first safe country? Everyone comes to Britian because it is too easy for them and they get given so much. We are only a small country and we are becoming over-run with asylum seekers. There are many British people that need help and should be put before them.closing quote
Rachel, 14, New Malden

opening quoteMost of the Asylum seekers aren't accepted unless they're in genuine threat. When they do come here most are homeless and have no money.closing quote
Katie, 14, Essex

opening quoteI don't see why asylum seekers can't live like we do. What is the world if we can't move to new places? It is unfair, what harm are they doing by being here? I agree with Vanessa, it isn't right to turn them away.closing quote
Kate, 12, Shrewsbury

opening quoteI think asylum seekers should be accepted into this country. They should not be treated as aliens, people should listen and open their eyes to the world around them.closing quote
Hannah, 13, Leamington Spa

opening quoteWhy can't the asylum seekers just go back to their own country, where they belong. They don't deserve to live here. Just think of all the homeless people living out there - we should concentrate more on giving them nice homes and good food rather than letting the asylum seekers become better off.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Swindon

opening quoteI think we should do more to help asylum seekers because apart from their religion and the colour of their skin they are just the same as us!closing quote
Laura, 12, Stamford

opening quoteI really feel for asylum seekers it is not fair to be horrible.closing quote
Sam, 12

opening quoteThough I do feel for Asylum seekers, and what they go through, I can't help but dislike their "ways" and their attitudes towards us once they get here.closing quote
Jen, 15, Stratford-upon-Avon

opening quoteI think that asylum seekers deserve the help they need, for whatever reason. Surely human rights covers this?closing quote
Jonathan, 14, Topcliffe

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutOur special section for Asylum day

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club