Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Should the UK bid for the Olympics?
Updated 27 May 2003, 16.30

The government have announced that they're backing an attempt to get the 2012 Olympics to come to London.

Is this a good idea? Or do you think it's a waste of time and money, especially as it might cost up to 2.6 billion to put on.

Or maybe you think it would be great if the UK got the Olympics, and it's a matter of pride that we go for them.

Perhaps there will be loads of other benefits, like improved sports facilities. Or could the money be better spent on hospitals and schools?

opening quoteIf the Olympics are held in this country, it should be somewhere like Birmingham where more people can get to it. closing quote
James, 14, Middlesborough

opening quoteIt will be fab and I might even get to go and see it.closing quote
Emma, 13, Blackburn

opening quoteWHAT A DREADFUL IDEA! What's the point in wasting all that money when it can be used on good things to help instead of to entertain!?closing quote
Hannah, 13, Wigan

opening quoteTotally, it would make Great Britian look really cool.closing quote
Leanne, 14, Middlesborough

opening quoteI think that it would be a really excellent oppurtunity to show how great this country is. It would also help improve the transport system round London, and the Olympic Village could be used as housing after the event. Also it would help improve tourism in the UK. closing quote
Janis, 15, North Washam

opening quoteI think London should bid because the UK haven't had the Olympics for ages.closing quote
Oscar, 9, London

opening quoteIt's a total waste of taxpayers money. Just like the Dome (800 million down the drain). My school can't afford books, equipment or repairs. closing quote
Kirsty, 14, Welwyn Garden City

opening quoteIt's a waste of money. 2 billion is a lot of money that could be spent on much better things!closing quote
Vicki, 14, Devon

opening quoteI think the UK should bid, but not London as it is too crowded and there basically isn't enough space. Somewhere like Birmingham or Manchester would be good as it would mean lots of the UK could visit- not just people who live in the south. I feel that areas above the Midlands should start to get some credit - not just London!closing quote
Francesca, 13, Rossendale

opening quoteIt would be really good and fun, just like the Commonwealth Games - COME ON LONDON, DO IT FOR BRITISH PRIDE!!!!!!closing quote
Soph, 11, Shipley

opening quoteI think it is ridiculous the amout of money the government spend on really stupid things. Just think how many hospitals and how many people's lives we could make better with 2.6 billion. It's insane. 2.6 billion, how can they even think about spending that much money on the Olympics? Surely they can't think that a load of countries coming together and playing games is more important than hundreds of lives in Africa and hospitals.closing quote
Annabelle, 13, Horsham

opening quoteIt would be so cool! So what if it costs a lot of money, it will do so much for the UK and the olympics supporters.closing quote
Gill, 11, Stanmore

opening quoteI don't think it's a good idea to hold the Olympics in London because we can just see it on telly! Does it really matter? Plus, 2.6 billion pounds just for some athletes to do their job...boring!closing quote
Emma, 13, Lincoln

opening quoteYes! The UK would be seen as a great country and performers would feel more at home here.closing quote
Sophie, 10, Gosport

opening quoteI don't really mind where the Olympics take place, I only mind if there isn't one.closing quote
Teresa, 12, Finland

opening quoteIt would be great! The last time we had the Olympics here the Olympic Village place was down the road from me! My dad told me all about it!closing quote
Nicola, 14, MIddlesex

opening quoteAbsolutely! It would make the UK look great, and do loads for our sports!closing quote
Marie, 12, Argyle

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
UKThe MiP files: Steve's Olympic dream!
ChatDid you enjoy the Commonwealth Games?
VoteShould London bid for the 2012 Olympics?

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
London will bid for the 2012 Olympics
Paralympics opens in Salt Lake
Winter Olympics end in blaze of glory

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club