Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Are there too many soaps on TV?
Updated 22 April 2003, 14.21

Telly regulator, the ITC says there are too many soaps on TV.

Corrie is moving to five nights-a-week, EastEnders is on four times and that's not counting the repeats.

Then there's Hollyoaks, Neighbours, Emmerdale, Brookside, the list goes on and on.

What do you think, is there a soap overload, or can you not get enough of them!

opening quoteI think there are too many unrealistic soaps on TV. As if that would all happen in one street! It is a load of rubbish I'm sure people have better things to do than watch people live.closing quote
Grace, 15, London

opening quoteSoaps are soooo boring. Why have any soaps on TV at all they are a waste of time.closing quote
Kate, 11, Bromley

opening quoteI think that all the popular soaps should carry on like Corrie, EastEnders and Neighbours, all the rest should go.closing quote
Elycia, 11, Stevenage

opening quoteIn my opinon there are way too many mushy soaps which make you end up crying but I like the soaps with good storylines eg EastEnders and Neighbours. I don't like the boring soaps which make you fall asleep like Brookside.closing quote
Stef, 12, Fareham

opening quoteThere are too many, we don't need them all as they are all the same: kiss, slap, argue, make-up, getting pregnant and shouting. Though it may come close to, life is generally not like life in a soap at all!closing quote
Elizabeth, 12, Ipswich

opening quoteI think there is too many soaps. Who watches Crossroads, Neighbours, Brookside and Home and Away and doesn't fall asleep after five minutes?closing quote
Hannah, 13, Co. Antrim

opening quoteSoaps are cool, there should be more!!! I do agree that it is really all just shouting and arguments and murder and stuff, but they always do cliffhangers so you have to watch the next episode to find out what happens!!closing quote
Laura, 13, Scotland

opening quoteThere are way too many soaps on TV, and they all carry out the same storylines! How can anyone keep track without getting confused?closing quote
Sophia, 13, Essex

opening quoteBritain is famous for its soaps. I am a soapaholic, if I miss one I watch a repeat. I love soaps, I know I have to get out more but EastEnders is really good.closing quote
Amina, 15, Sheffield

opening quoteWhy are people saying that there are too many soaps on TV? I'm glad there are loads of soaps on telly.They are the best programmes.(apart from CBBC!)closing quote
Kathryn, 10, Nottingham

opening quoteSoaps suck. I say get rid of them all.closing quote
Tina, 11, Southall

opening quoteI think that there is way too many soaps on the telly. A few are OK but they all copy each other's storylines and it gets really boring. Most of the time the storylines are unrealistic.closing quote
Carla, 15, Birmingham

opening quoteI'm not bothered if they take some soaps off just as long it's not EastEnders or Coronation Street but I don't think they will take them off because they are more popular than the other soaps.closing quote
Jo, 13, Derbyshire

opening quoteThere aren't too many soaps at all, just too many boring story lines!closing quote
Fayona, 12, Chester

opening quoteI don't think there are too many soaps. They are interesting to watch. If they were going to get rid of some they shouldn't take EastEnders or Corrie off our screens.closing quote
Laura, 12, Gosport

opening quoteI think there is far too many soaps on the TV and there should be more programmes like the Simpsons.closing quote
Stuart, 12, Glasgow

opening quoteDon't ever get rid of soaps I would love it if they were on 24 hours a day, seven days a week!closing quote
Ali, 13, Stratford

opening quoteSometimes I get annoyed when I just want to chill out in front of the TV but all there is is soaps when I want to watch something different.closing quote
Chantal, 10, Sevenoaks

opening quoteI think there are too many soaps on. I think it is a bad influence on children, and I can't watch two at a time.closing quote
Sanne, 10, Eversley

opening quoteI don't think I would say there are too many soaps but I think it's stupid that there are so many with the same story lines.closing quote
Helena, 13, Grimsby

opening quoteNo way, bring out more soaps I say. They're the best things on TV, except Newsround :)closing quote
Cathy, 12, Durham

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
ChatChat on the soaps messageboard
VoteVote for your fave TV programe

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
EastEnders' Phil and Lisa split in real life
Soap scenes attacked by TV watchdogs

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club