Skip to main content Text Only version of this page
Where I Live
A-Z Index
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us

Would you want to be tracked by mobile?
Updated 14 July 2003, 16.39

A new system is now available that means you can be tracked using your mobile phones.

Would you want your parents following your walk to school and knowing exactly where you are?

Perhaps you think this is security gone mad? Or do you think it's a good way of making sure you're safe?

opening quoteI think parents should trust their children and if they were worried, they should ask, not check up on us. closing quote
Natasha, 15, Devon

opening quoteIt's a great idea, now it is less likely that kids will get kidnapped on the way to school. And parents will know what kids are doing and were they are, it's a lot safer. closing quote
Kelsey, 11, USA

opening quoteI think that it isn't a good idea because parents have to trust their kids and kids need their independence. closing quote
Jenny, 13, Bristol

opening quoteIt's a fantastic idea. It's not as if our parents are listening in on our conversations - we will still have privacy - just a safer privacy! closing quote
Joba, 13, Jersey

opening quoteI hate da idea! I'd hate havin my parents know where I am all da time, we do need our independence n dey can't keep us wrapped in bubble wrap n treat us like babies 4eva! We have 2 grow up. It's a stupid idea cos ur parents could just fone u 2 ask where u r! It's just like spyin! closing quote
Kirsty, 13, Hemel Hempstead

opening quoteI don't mind at all. I think its a good idea, it will stop you getting into danger and stop people skiving lessons. Loads of people in my school skive lessons and it would benefit parents and teachers. closing quote
Ali, 15, Farnborough

opening quote If I was in danger yes. If I was late home no. closing quote
Laura, 12, Gosport

opening quote No I'd hate it if my parents knew where I was 24/7. But maybe it would be a bit good because it could reduce the number of children who go missing. closing quote
Brid, 14, Dublin

opening quote Well, I definitely wouldn't want them tracking me to school... But, it would be okay if I was going somewhere unfamiliar, then if I got lost, they could help. closing quote
Victoria, New York

opening quote No way, I hate the idea. I'll not use the phone now! closing quote
Kirsty, 15, Newcastle

opening quote No way!! It doesn't matter if we're five minutes late, it's none of our parents' business. closing quote
Sophie, 10, Gosport

opening quoteWhat's the point? It frankly doesn't matter if I'm a few minutes late for school. But the other part about knowing whether we are off course is a good idea. closing quote
Orla, 9, London

opening quoteIt's like adults don't trust us. We need our privacy too, and we're not as stupid as some people might think. closing quote
Anna, 14, Edinburgh

opening quoteHas anyone ever heard of this word called PRIVACY? Next people will be spying on us to see if we use the right type of paper in the toilet. Sometimes I wish I were in old days and everyone couldn't watch my every move. closing quote
Dorz, 11, Ireland

opening quoteNo, I think that we need some privacy in where we go and what we do. If you could track me on my mobile, I wouldn't use it! closing quote
Georgia, 13, Neath

opening quoteThat would totally freak me out. Knowing that my parents knew everything I did and everywhere I went. Actually I don't think it would bother them unless I was getting kidnapped which isn't very likely! closing quote
Rosie, 12, Leeds

opening quoteOur parents need to trust us! It's stupid because you would be paranoid all the time! closing quote
Laura, 14, Southampton

opening quoteI think it's good in case I'm home late and they want to know if I'm safe. I doubt my parents would spy on me - they probably have much better things to do with their lives than watch me whenever I go out! How many people do you know whose idea of fun is watching other people have lives?! I trust my parents only to use that if they're worried about me. closing quote
Kim, 13, Reading

opening quoteOur parents want us to be safe but they want us to be happy too. If they spy on us do you think we'll be very happy? I don't think so! closing quote
Wai Yin, 13, Kent

opening quoteI might be getting a phone soon but maybe not because my parents would spy on me. Although it is good if you get kidnapped and then you parents would know where you are! closing quote
Ben, 11, Aylesbury

opening quoteI think it's good to let your parents know that you are safe and not in danger, but they shouldn't be literally spying on whatever you do. You need to have some privacy! closing quote
Gill, 11, Stanmore

opening quoteDo teenagers spy on there parents? No! (Well at least I think its no). How would the child/teenager feel if his/her parents couldn't even trust them to simply walk home from school? closing quote
James, 12, Durham

opening quoteParents should trust their kids. I mean would parents like it if we spied on them or if they were spied on when they were younger? I don't think my folks would do that though. They trust me. closing quote
Kirsty, 13, Edinburgh

opening quoteThis would be terrible! Having my parents spying on me would ruin any kind of fun, isn't this overstepping the mark? I'm sure my parents would hate to be spied on, anyway, we could always get even and spy on them! closing quote
Sophia, 13, Essex

opening quoteNo! You've no freedom! closing quote
Jane, 12, Churchdown

opening quoteHey, why don't we have cameras on us as well? In fact, let's go the whole way and have parents hold our hands and take us to school themselves... closing quote
Rhiannon, 15

opening quoteI think it is OK because if u read the news and c how many kids go missing because of walkin 2 and from school then u would know tht u were safe! closing quote
Pamela, 12, Hawie

opening quoteI get to school by bus and if there is a lot of traffic, sometimes we go the other way or we are late! If my parents got a text message saying I was late, or going a different route, then they would probably end up panicking for no reason!!! So in some ways, this mobile tracking system is a bit dumb. Even if I didn't go by bus to school, then I wouldn't want my parents to spy on me coz if I take a mini detour to the shop to buy a choccie bar on the way to school then they would panic! closing quote
Maddy, 13, Poole

opening quoteI think that it's stupid! If your parents want to find out where you are why don't they just phone you? This isn't for our protection! It's so that they can spy on us! closing quote
Kriti, 12, Essex

opening quoteI'd hate it! I don't want my parents spying on me! closing quote
James, 13, Lancaster
opening quoteI think it's horrible. We should enjoy what nature has given us!closing quote
Rich, 13, Cambridge

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutGuide to mobiles
ChatChat about mobiles
QuizMobile phone safety
ClubMobiles: 'good for emergencies only'

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Your parents could track you by your mobile
New mobile network lets you send videos
Picture messaging catches out robbers
New mobiles will let you text emotions
Mobile thefts rise hits children worst

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club