Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Do you have heroes from history?
Updated 25 March 2003, 16.59

A top head teacher has said kids don't know enough about important people from the past.

Children, he said, should have more heroes than just Beckham or Gareth.

So is he right? Do you have have heroes from history? And who are they?

And should you learn more about great historical characters who have helped get us here today?

opening quoteElizabeth I is my heroine! I love learning about her, and she was so cool!!!closing quote
Susan, 13

opening quoteI know the punk rock band The Clash only stopped singing in the early 1980's which isn't that long ago, but I look up to them SO much. I think they made the best music. I was so upset when I heard Joe Strummer died. The Clash was what really got me interested in music!closing quote
Penny, 14, London

opening quoteOh. Lots of people, like Akira Kurosawa, W. H. Auden, Mervyn Peake, Charles Dickens, Charlie Parker, Audrey Hepburn, Just because they're quite recent, they still count.closing quote
Jessica, 14, Bristol

opening quoteAnne Frank is MY Heroine. She showed people around the world how bad the Nazis were.closing quote
Ros, 11, Cheltenham

opening quotePeople from the past give us the life we have today. But I realise, cos I am one of those people who don't find history interesting, I look up more to people like Julia Roberts than Willian Shakespeare.closing quote
Hollie, 13, Aberdeen

opening quoteI don't have a hero because history doesn't really help you in life you need to learn something that's going to help you in life.closing quote
Laura, 12, Gosport

opening quoteElizabeth I was a heroine. Nobody thought she would be a good monarch just because she was female, but she proved everybody wrong and won the country's affection and admiration.closing quote
Jemima, 13, Swindon

opening quoteDefinitely Shakespeare, he was amazing!!!closing quote
Kelly, 15

opening quoteChurchill is a hero because if it wasn't for him we probably would have lost the war against Germany.closing quote
Sohail, 10, Burnley

opening quoteHistory is boring, I don't really care about people from back there. I mean, learning about how those people did things will never help us; times have changed and will always be totally different. I'd never act like all those people, and learning about them sucks!closing quote
Sarah, 13, Ireland

opening quoteMahatma Gandhi. He is such a hero because he was thrown in jail for his peaceful beleifs - a bit like Nelson Mandela who is also a hero!closing quote
Laura, 13, Southampton

opening quoteMartin Luther King was a hero and inspiration to all. 'Judge people by their integrity and not by the colour of their skin'. Brilliant words said by an excellent man!closing quote
Mac, 16, Croydon

opening quoteFlorence Nightingale is a good inspiration especially if you want to help others.closing quote
Michaela, 11, Staffordshire

opening quoteAlan Turing was a hero, he cracked the Enigma code in WW2 and gave us the first computer, and yet we don't learn about him in school. Without him we wouldn't be in the technical golden age we're in now!!!closing quote
Claire, 10, London

opening quoteI look up to a lot of people from the past, particularly Winston Churchill and Queen Victoria.closing quote
Kimberley, 16, Gloucester

opening quoteWilliam Wallace was a hero. He stood for what he believed and died for it. Anyone who does that is a true hero, we should be able to learn about people like him, not just our Kings and Queens.closing quote
Sarah, 16, Grimsby

opening quoteChurchill was a hero. My dad's always going on about him. We should learn about him in school - it would make history loads more interesting.closing quote
Rhodri, 13, Pontypridd

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
UKKids 'need more historical heroes'
PicturesPix - Heroes of British history
ChatChat about school stuff
Club'I met my heroes!'

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Beckham hangs out with Hercules
Bart and Cat are top heroes for teen boys
Results of the hero survey

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Teachers:
Look at our citizenship stuff
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club