Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Russian street children: your thoughts
Updated 25 March 2003, 16.58
Homless children in Russia are forced to live in cellars
This week's Newsround Extra looks at children in Russia living on the streets.

Many are homeless because their parents have died, or because they've had to leave home because their parents don't want them.

But what do you think should be done to help them?

opening quoteIt just goes to show how lucky we are in more westernised countries. My school send away presents to people in Eastern Europe. It was a fantastic feeling knowing you gave some children their ONLY Christmas presents that year or even their first Christmas presents ever.closing quote
Dorz, 11, Ireland

opening quoteI think it's horrific, and I feel so spoilt with what I've got. We could give them money from Comic Relief or something, or at least encourage the Russian government to help. I don't think they realise the truth.closing quote
Joanne, 16, Crewkerne

opening quoteThere is nothing more that the Russian government can do. My sugestion is to split Russia into states and have a mini governments in each state that way they could concentrate on things like the children on the streets.closing quote
Aidan, 16, Liverpool

opening quoteI went to work with street kids in Romania for Christmas with a team of young people - it was amazing. Emotional but yet inspiring. The Russian kids lived in very similar conditions. More should be done, but the Government does nothing. Unless they change, nothing will stop homelessness in countries like Romania and Russia.closing quote
Sarah, 16, Cardiff

opening quoteThere are many adults in the US who live in the streets. If they can't survive harsh winters and can't find jobs, how are these kids supposed to survivie? Something definitely has to be done. Maybe the UN should focus more of their time and money on these kids than on the war against Iraq.closing quote
Katelyn, 14, Chicago, USA

opening quoteMy sister currently works in Russia and I've been told of the horrible conditions for these children. The Russian government needs to pay more attention to them.closing quote
Sera, 13, Cardiff

opening quoteI think it's awful that some of them have been thrown out by families and that the adults take to drinking. I couldn't imagine living like that so I'm very lucky.closing quote
Katheriine, 14, Southport

opening quoteYesterday's NR Extra made me see how lucky I am. It's good that charities help them.closing quote
Christopher, 10, Dublin

opening quoteI think more should be done to help them - I can't imagine what it's like to have to live on the streets even when it's snowing.closing quote
James, 12, Liverpool

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Full Extras section
Russian Street Children
MEET THE CHILDREN
WATCH THIS EXTRA
YOUR COMMENTS
Q&A
WHAT'S THE STORY?
QUIZ
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club