Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Should pets have transplants?
Updated 25 March 2003, 16.48

Cats in Britain could soon be allowed to have organ transplants.

But it's not cheap! Do you think animals are as important as humans, or should the owners' money be put to another use?

Are vets just prolonging an animal's suffering by keeping them alive through painful operations?

opening quoteI think pets should be allowed organ transplants, however I think the price to carry out such treatment is far too expensive. How can the elderly splash out on a 8000 operation!! That's a VERY expensive cat!closing quote
Tim, 15, Manchester

opening quoteWe think that animals have just as much right to live as humans and if an organ transplant can save an animals life, they have as much right to the operation as humans. We also think that if it is the owner's money they can do what they want with it.closing quote
Vicky, Trixy & Fleur, 13, Nottingham

opening quoteI don't think that pets should have transplants as it is an extremely stressful process for humans who are aware of what is happening to them. For an animal who doesn't understand it must be terrifying. Also there are health risks for the donor animal. For example if an animal had a kidney removed it might need dialysis for the rest of it's life which would make the animal even more stressed. I own two cats and although I wouldn't want one of them to die but I wouldn't want the other to live a horrible life as well because they don't have all of their organs.closing quote
Felicity, 15, Nottingham

opening quoteI think that if humans can have a transplant to save their life animals should be able to, save their life.closing quote
Marcia, 10, Burnley

opening quoteI think animals have just as much right to have transplants as us humans. Especially if it can save a life! closing quote
Sophie, 11, Darlington

opening quoteI don't see why animals shouldn't be able to have transplants. After all, humans do. Animals have the same right as humans to live so why not?closing quote
Katie, 14, Godmanchester

opening quoteAnimals have a right to live. Why can't they have transplants like us?closing quote
Lauren, 12, Invercargill

opening quoteIt is a good Idea, because I really would like my adorable cat to live if he had a disease or heart problem and I wouldn't mind paying thousands of pounds for his safety!closing quote
Callum, 11, Maidenhead

opening quoteI think pets should have transplants because if humans can have them then pets should be allowed them to so they can live a few years more.closing quote
Rachelle, 12, Leeds

opening quoteIt is a very bad idea to put your pet at risk just to make it live longer. It is better just to let nature take it's course.closing quote
Frances, 13, Teynham

opening quoteI think it is OK as long as the owners don't dump the doner cats on the streets after the operation.closing quote
Laurel, 14, Solihull

opening quoteIt's awful how pets are abused and it would be even more awful if they died. I have a cat and if he died it would be the end of the world for me and my baby brother.closing quote
Rachel, 10, Reading

opening quoteI think it is a great idea, especially if the owners of the pet have to care for the donor as well.closing quote
Tom, 15, Isle of Wight

opening quoteI think animals should be able to have transplants as long as they are not from other stray animals, maybe they can have animal organ downers.closing quote
Danielle, 12, Bournemouth

opening quoteI think that it's a good idea. But that you shouldn't have to look after the donar cat because it costs a lot for the operation and it costs a lot to look after a cat let alone two!closing quote
Elizabeth, 12, Suffolk

opening quoteI can see why people would like it because many people adore their cats. However, I agree that 8000 is a lot of money, that could do a lot of good to a lot of people.closing quote
Carys, 11, Mosley

opening quote8000 is a lot of money and I think it could be put to better use than to prolong an animal's life for just a few years.closing quote
Hannah, 13, Leeds

opening quoteEven if the cat's really old, I think they should go ahead and do it, because the cat could go on to living really old and it could be in the Guinness Book Of World Records!!!closing quote
Sophie, 10, Gosport

opening quoteI think that if humans can have them, cats can. People say it's kinder to let them die and not go through an operation, so therefore is it OK to put a human through that? A cat can't say what it wants but don't you think they still have the strong will to stay alive like us? And animals are at the level of humans, YOU are an animal.closing quote
Caroline, 14

opening quoteI think animals should have the right to have transplants, they have just as much right to live as humans!!!closing quote
Becci, 11, Stalybridge

opening quoteI know this will sound terrible but I think that it isn't really right for animals to get transplants, I mean they're nice and I love pets but that's bringing them up to human level, I mean after all no matter how sweet they are, they're animals.closing quote
Kelsey, 12, Texas, USA

opening quote8,000 is a lot of money and if they're old and ill you should have them put to sleep and get a new cat from a rescue centre!closing quote
Hannah, 12, Gloucester

opening quoteIf humans are able to have translants, I don't see why it should be any different for animals. They have just as much right to life as we do!closing quote
Harriet, 16, Romford

opening quoteIt's not natural, when it's time for animal to die then let it die in peace and not have the trauma of an operation.closing quote
Kerry, 13, Rainham

opening quoteThis may seem a bit harsh but I think it's kinder to put the animal to sleep than extending it's life through painful operations. The money could go towards new medical equipment.closing quote
Joanna, 13, Basingstoke

opening quoteI think that organ transplants for animals is great, this now means that people's pets can live with them for longer, which I think will make many old people happy because, they find it sometimes very hard to cope if a pet of their's dies.closing quote
Lucy, 12, Yeovil

opening quoteIt's an awful thing to say, but I think the owners should give the money to charity and get a new kitten.closing quote
Carly, 14, Southampton

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
AnimalsTips on caring for a sick pet
ChatShould children be able to buy pets?
ChatChat about animals
VoteVote for your fave pet

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Nine out of 10 arthritic dogs prefer shellfish
First Aid help for US pets
Pets to get their own 'rights'
Colin the rabbit saved by brain op

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club