Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Domestic violence: Your thoughts
Updated 03 March 2003, 09.47
Domestic violence
This week's Newsround Extra: Hitting Home tackles the problem lots of children face: domestic violence.

Many watch helplessly as one of their parents or parent's partners hit and abuse each other.

And the children get hurt too - physically and mentally.

For some, it's so bad the only option is to escape and get help.

But what are your thoughts on domestic violence?

What did you think of the stories you heard in the Newsround Extra?

Do you think you'd know what to do if you needed help?

If you don't want to use your real name or give us any personal information, you don't have to.

opening quoteI think a lot of the time, domestic violence is because the parents were not treated well when they were kids. I think if you are going through this, you should really tell someone. Keeping it to yourself will only make you feel worse.closing quote
Alex, 11, Concord

opening quoteI would just like to say that it is not always the dad beating the mum, because when I was 14 my mum used to beat my family up. Also, if you are getting beaten up by someone, tell someone, I know its a lot easier.closing quote
Anon

opening quoteI luckily haven't been a victim of domestic violence, but one of my friends was. It made her depressed and she couldn't concentrate on her work. If you are being abused, you really should tell someone. Keeping it bottled in makes it worse!closing quote
Dominique, 13, Bristol

opening quoteI think it's awful, but your program has made me more aware of what a serious problem it is, and I just wish it could stop.closing quote
Ceri, 14, Monmouth

opening quotePeople should never hit and abuse each other, it's just teaching children to do wrong as well.closing quote
Sophie, 10, Gosport

opening quoteDon't sit in silence stand up and let your problems be heard.closing quote
Jenny, 13, Redditch

opening quoteI think if you are suffering from domestic violence get help from friends or family, who ever you can trust.closing quote
Paige, 12, Withington

opening quotePeople who are involved in this need help as it will only get worse.closing quote
Naomi, 12

opening quoteIt's so sad. What's worse is that people try and pretend it doesn't happen so there is no hope for victims.closing quote
Laura, 13, Southampton

opening quoteI see my mum and dad hit each other and it gets me so worked up, I feel ill and sad inside.closing quote
Anon

opening quoteLuckily I haven't been a victim of domestic violence but if someone is, I think they should get help even if it's a phonecall to a helpline. I don't think anyone should have to suffer like that!closing quote
Hayley, 13, Middlesborough

opening quoteWe think that domestic violence is awful and shouldn't happen, 'cause nobody deserves it. We also think it must be really hard for the victims to tell others. closing quote
Cat and Smile, 10, Nottingham

opening quoteI think that any man who thinks it is all right to lift his hand to a woman and hit her to the ground is awfull. There is no place for that kind of act in the world!closing quote
Danielle, 14, Ballymena, Northern Ireland

opening quoteIt sounds horrble. I wish some parents would own up.closing quote
Amy, 10, London

opening quoteThis really upsets me - I hope families get help if there's violence.closing quote
Jenny, 13, Liverpool

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Will Young backs anti-violence charity

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Hitting Home
Full Extras section
HITTING HOME
REAL STORIES
WATCH THIS EXTRA
ABOUT DOMESTIC ABUSE
YOUR COMMENTS
QUIZ
WHERE TO GET HELP
CHILDLINE
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club