Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Are sumo wrestlers too fat?
Updated 25 March 2003, 16.48

Sumo wrestlers put on weight to be the best in their sport - wrestlers have to be heavy to be considered strong. But is it a good idea?

Jockeys also have to watch their weight to make sure they're not too heavy so their horses can run as fast as possible.

Like sumo wrestlers some spend their whole career on a special diet, watching what they eat.

But do you think it's right to dramatically change your weight to be the best in your sport?

opening quoteI think it's good that sumos are carrying on a tradition but putting on weight is silly and for their health it's dangerous.closing quote
Anna, 11, Whitstable

opening quoteI think children should not put on weight and do it because they will have serious problems when there older.closing quote
Caroline, 9, St Helen's

opening quoteI think that if sumos want to be that fat then let them, it's what they want to do so we should not interfere with their beliefs. They may face heart or other problems when they are older but if this is what they really want to do then people shouldn't interfere.closing quote
James, 11, Macclesfield

opening quoteI think that they should carry on doing it because that's what they want to do as a career. If they want to be unhealthy, let them carry on with it.closing quote
Lisa, 12, Orrell

opening quoteI don't think sumos are that fat! They are a little (well quite a bit) chubby and have a plump stomach and legs but I don't see what the big deal is!!!!closing quote
Rebecca, 14, Birmingham

opening quoteI don't think we should judge them because they are only doing what they want and they are probably really good people inside. If they want to get fat and look disgusting for their career then fine.closing quote
Stephen, 14, London

opening quoteIt's their tradition so we should let them get on with it.closing quote
Fiona, 11, Sittingbourne

opening quoteIt's a tradition and has been going on for years and if they want to represent their traditon then good for them.closing quote
Kerry, 13, Rainham

opening quoteEven though it's part of Japanese tradition, I think the weight factor of sumo could lead to health problems in later life.closing quote
Daniel, 15, Portadown

opening quoteOf course sumos are fat - it's their life!!! It's pretty unhealthy though.closing quote
Victoria, 15, Wycombe

opening quoteI think sumos are way too fat but it's their choice and their problem. I think they should talk to someone about it before they start if they're still a kid, but adults are responsible for themselves and it is their choice. You shouldn't treat them any different though.closing quote
Kayla, 11, Bristol

opening quoteI think the people who do sumo wrestling are a danger to themselves health wise, but they are old enough to make their own dissions, and I also think we should not judge people by their appearance. Although I would never try to be a sumo! closing quote
Amanda, 10, Wolverhampton

opening quoteI think the health condition of these people is very bad, and they are doing this just for money.closing quote
Saqib, 11, Luton

opening quoteI think that sumos are fat, but it's their life and if they feel that they need to make millions from wrestling at the risk of their lives, we should accept it.closing quote
Stephen, 14, Shropshire

opening quoteIf you're over 16 you can do anything with your body. It's their choice if they want to put on weight for their sport but they'll face the consequences in their later life.closing quote
Luke, 13, Ashford

opening quoteJust thinking about sumo wrestlers makes my stomach churn. Just looking at them is disgusting, they all need to go on major diets. They may think it's cool, but their parents or a teacher should warn them of the terrible consequences.closing quote
Sarah, 13, Ireland

opening quoteI think they should do what they want for themselves, it is their life and they should chose what they do with it, if they want to get fat and have health problems it's their choice.closing quote
Tim, 14, London

opening quotePeople should not question the ways of Japanese culture. I agree that young sumos are unhealthily obese, but if no young children do not get invovled with tradition then it would die out.closing quote
Simon, 12, Lincoln

opening quoteI think they are just wasting their lives by getting heavy and they will probably get heart problem sooner or later!closing quote
Megan, 10, Wisham

opening quoteSumo wrestlers are wayyyyyyy too fat! They need to go on some BIG diet cos that weight is gonna take ages to come off!closing quote
Saira, 11, Liverpool

opening quoteWe shouldn't judge people by what they look like but it is also true that it is unhealthy to be overweight.closing quote
Katie, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI think its really unhealthy and could lead to dangerous or even fatal consequences.closing quote
Sinead, 12, London

opening quoteI think sumo wrestlers are too fat but it's up to them if they want to join a sport like that.closing quote
Lucy, 10, Kidderminster

opening quoteI think your health comes before sumo wrestling. What is the point of sumos any way?closing quote
Laura, 12, Gosport

opening quoteI think it's unhealthy what they are doing. They could be risking their lives.closing quote
Lucy, 14, Bristol

opening quoteAs long as you're happy about the way you look and feel good about yourself, I don't think it matters. Though health is also a very important issue but is your own decision.closing quote
Laura, 12, Hinckely

opening quoteI think that it doesn't really matter that much, as they need to put on weight for what they are doing!closing quote
Carys, 11, Redhill

opening quoteIn the past I have suffered from weight problems so I think that it shouldn't matter what your weight is. If you have a talent use it and take part in whatever sport you like!closing quote
Bryan, 11, Fermanagh

opening quoteI think it's entirely up to you how you look and no one should tease you about it.closing quote
Laura, 11, Bromsgrove

opening quoteIf it's for sport then it doesn't matter, providing it doesn't hurt you.closing quote
Ros, 11, Cheltenham

opening quoteI don't think it matters what weight you are as long as you are healthy. closing quote
Jennifer, 11, Lyme Regis

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Full Extras section
Sumo Extra
ABOUT SUMO WRESTLING
WATCH THIS EXTRA
YOUR COMMENTS
SUMO MOVES
QUIZ
PRESS PACK REPORT
VOTE
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club