Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Do aliens exist and how do they look?
Updated 10 January 2003, 09.54
Would an alien look like this?
For the first Newsround Extra programme of 2003, Becky looked at whether life could exist outside Earth - and now we want to know what you think!

Do you believe there are already little green men living in outer space?

Or is it a load of rubbish made up by people with really good imaginations?

Or perhaps you agree with some scientists, and think there might be tiny living organisms floating about on other planets - aliens, but not as we know them?

Whatever your theories on life in outer space, let everyone know right now!

opening quoteI think, out of the trillions of stars in our universe and hundreds of planets orbiting them, the chances of there being life elsewhere is extremely high. But our chances of finding them may be considerably lower. Some scientists say there must be water on land or below ground and oxygen in their atmosphere but I think it's more likely that they survive of a different gas such as nitrogen or hydrogen. Also they say conditions should be that of Earth's but they may be suited to a completely different temperature or pressure. But if other civilizations did need water and oxygen then Europa (one of Jupiter's moons) the huge ocean under the sheet of ice could be a perfect habitat. Also the phrase 'little green men' could be so wrong, they could look exactly like us.closing quote
Ben, 12, Kenfig Hill

opening quoteYou all are so stupid. For the person who spoke about the Milky Way, if your small brain could possibly comprehend how big the Milky Way is alone, youd understand that there has to be life in just this Galaxy. And as for spending money on other things besides space exploration, SCREW THAT, this world is so messed up and will be destroyed soon anyway so space exploration in a way is our ONLY thing we should be doing, it is where the future of this planet lies.closing quote
Chris, 16, Tampa

opening quoteI think they do exist as I have seen a UFO but you have to see to believe truly in my view.closing quote
Michael, 14, Stroud

opening quoteBelieve that and you'll believe anything! i mean it's only now that there asking if Neil actually DID land on the moon, so come on!closing quote
Reena, Bradford

opening quoteWhen you consider the size of the universe I believe it's hard to imagine that we really are the only form of life around. I think there is definitely life on other planets, and perhaps in our own Solar System, it's just that it might take decades to find it.closing quote
Kathryn, 15, Dundalk

opening quoteI think there is life on other planets, but people in this world shouldn't be spending ridiculous amounts of money on expeditions into space when the money could be going to help people in poverty in this world! What is the point in looking for life on other planets when we can't even get our own planet sorted out!! closing quote
Carmel, 15, Glossop

opening quoteI don't believe in aliens but if somebody goes and brings one back then I would believe it.closing quote
Kacee, 11, Tebbets

opening quoteProbably, it's really selfish to think that we're the only planet with living things. It's probably almost impossible for a planet to be able to support life, but ours can, and it's a BIG universe...closing quote
Cristina, 14, New York, USA

opening quoteMy dad and me saw a UFO on a road trip in Ohio. It was very bright and moved very fast. It was zigzagging in the sky for a long time until it shot off into space.closing quote
Chris, 14, Rochester

opening quoteThey are real. They are grey and skinny. Not too tall. They have big eyes and long fingers. There skin is like cardboard. They live in UFOs in our atmosphere but come from far off planets. They are our friends.closing quote
Anne, 13, Bedford

opening quoteI definitely think aliens exist. I mean, out of all the planets and all the solar systems, how could only ONE planet have life on it? How self-centred is that? But, I don't think they look like little green men...I doubt they look like humans though!closing quote
Lauren, 13, USA

opening quoteI think there probably is alien life in space somewhere, but not much and so few and far between that it's unlikely that we'll ever meet it.closing quote
Natalie, 15, Leicestershire

opening quoteI think there is a chance that there is life on other planets. But I don't think they will be green and have millions of eyes and wobble like jelly. But there will a kind of creature on different planets.closing quote
Nadine, 10, Durham

opening quoteI am VERY confident that aliens exist. We don't even know how big the universe is! There must be loads of other life forms out there. As for what they look like, I have no idea whatsoever!closing quote
Charlotte, 14, Wakefield

opening quoteI hope there is!!! It would be so cool if there were educated beings just like us on another planet.closing quote
Rose, 12, Totton

opening quoteYes they do - I saw one the other day it was green with bulging eyes!closing quote
Nareen, 13, Bedford

opening quoteI don't want the scientists to find aliens because they'll just cut them up to find out more about them !closing quote
Rochelle, 13, Newbridge

opening quoteI think that even if there is life on another planet, we shouldn't be spending billions of pounds on finding out. There are more important things to spend the money on, like hospitals and the third world.closing quote
Hattie, 11, Ross-on-Wye

opening quoteI think there could be other animal like creatures that have adapted to life on another planet as we have on ours. The universe is so vast that there must be other worlds similar to ours or different but with beings that can survive there.closing quote
Hermione, 15, Bucks

opening quoteThey are gorgeous and sexy! Oh no, that's Busted! I think that they are pink with blue dog ears! I don't know why I just do!closing quote
Laura, 13, Southampton

opening quoteJamie from Perth - We have found life on other planets. There is of life on Mars, but only small organisms. They are still living though! closing quote
Darren, 16, Carrickfergus

opening quoteI don't believe in aliens. But I think that they will find different plants and traces of life around the universe. closing quote
Elycia, 11, Stevenage

opening quoteI don't think there is life on any of the planets near Earth, like Mars, but somewhere out there, there might be. It's probably bacteria or something. closing quote
Katelyn, 13, London

opening quoteI do not believe in aliens from another planet! I've seen ET but I don't believe in aliens at all. closing quote
Karen, 16, Wokingham

opening quoteI can't see that with so many solar systems in so many galaxies that we can be the only planet with life, so I guess there must be some sort of other life out there. Obviously we won't have a clue what they look like because it would all depend on environment and certain things happening to what they evolved to be.closing quote
Isobel, 15, Kent

opening quoteI think that there is life on another planet. What if they look like us?! That would be cool! I am not sure if there is such a thing as aliens but there is definitely something out there that we haven't found yet.closing quote
Hollie, 13, Aberdeen

opening quoteIt is naive to think we are the only living things in this huge universe, so yes I do believe in aliens. I have no idea what they look like. They might even look exactly like us! Who knows?closing quote
Jenny, 15, Derby

opening quoteFor all I know aliens could be really small and look like a butterfly. So really I don't know, but I'm sure they wouldn't look anything like the alien in ET.closing quote
Sian,11

opening quoteI don't think there's alien life in the Milky Way but I think it's pretty arrogant of humans to think that in the whole universe we are the only intelligent life form.closing quote
Alexandra, 12, Horley

opening quoteI've seen ET the movie, and I don't think that's what aliens are like. But I think it won't be long before we find out that life of some kind exists on other plants. But I have no idea what it will look like.closing quote
Jamie, 11, Perth

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

More InfoBORDER=0
Find OutGuide to the international Space Station
Find OutBecky investigates
ChatWould you like to travel in space?
VoteVote: is there life on other planets?
QuizTry our alien quiz!

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
ET Where are you
Full Extras section
ET where are you
BECKY INVESTIGATES
WATCH THIS EXTRA
COMMENTS
VOTE
QUIZ
GUIDE
LINKS
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club