Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Do stories in the news scare you?
Updated 18 October 2002, 11.52

New research shows that more and more of you are having nightmares about things you hear in the news instead of monsters and horror movies.

A lot of things reported in the news are sad and some are really frightening but do they worry or scare you?

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteI do get scared at what I see on the news - and I worry about how we are completely stuffing up our world and enviroment and wars which seem pointless to me. And I am worrying more since the Bali attacks - that has really brought it closer to home for me. closing quote
Jenah, 14, New Zealand

opening quoteI think news is sometimes scary, but I think we need to be told. If stories got left out to save us from being scared then it would be very patronising and we would not know that there is anything bad in the world, and we wouldn't be as carefull as we should be. closing quote
Joe, 13, Bournemouth

opening quoteSometimes the news worries me, like when Holly and Jessica went missing, I stayed up every night to watch the news. I was terrified of what could have happened to them. It scared me so much that things like this really do happen, the world isn't the safe warm place you think it is when you are a small child. Its big and dangerous and there are bad things. closing quote
Lucy, 12, Markfield

opening quoteI hate the ones about black holes and asteroids, they make me think the earth is just gonna blow up any second. Do we really need to know about them? closing quote
Irene, 13, London

opening quoteI think news does scare children. When I heard about September 11th, I was scared in case they were going to bomb us, but when I heard Newsround it was less frightening and helps me understand things more, like bombing. closing quote
Leigh, 12, Grantham

opening quoteIt scares me to death. Not just about all the wars and bombing and stuff, but the amount of children that go missing, it's scary knowing what goes on in the world. closing quote
Shelly, 13, London

opening quoteSome stories in the news scare me. I got scared when I was on holiday and it was all over the papers that Sadam Hussein had nuclear bombs advanced enough to reach where we were! closing quote
Ollie, 14, Bristol

opening quoteI don't think the news scares me that much, and it can often be interesting. However I think broadcasters get away with too much on the news. Many of the images I've seen the 6 o'clock news seem quite graphic and should really only be shown after the watershed. I suppose, though, it makes us more aware of what some people in the world must face every day. closing quote
Paul, 14, Gloucester

opening quoteI don't get scared by news stories because now I realise that it is just destiny (it may seem stupid but it's quite true). If something is going to happen it will and we can't stop it, no matter how hard we try. closing quote
Nicola, 14, Middlesex

opening quoteI get scared sometimes about the news, things like terrorists, like the other day, I had a nightmare that the sniper terrorisng Washington DC came over to England and started shooting, but it makes me think how horrible it must be to be there. closing quote
Steven, 12, Nottingham

opening quoteYes. I never walk home from my friend's house alone-even though she lives directly oposite and I always wanted to go to Malaysia but the Bali bombing has scared that dream out of me. closing quote
Laura, 13, Southampton

opening quoteThe BBC news allways scares me becuase the readers never simile! No, to be honest it depends where and what it is. closing quote
Lydia, 12, Northants

opening quoteThe news always paints a black picture. Surely there must be good news to report. Why do we not hear good news? This would make people feel better and be happier. closing quote
Kylie, 13, Milton Keynes

opening quote Some times the news makes me feel ill, at how people have died etc. The news web site goes into so much detail (It makes you want to cry), its all real stuff, its not the movies. closing quote
Ro, 12, Cumbria

opening quoteRecently I've had two nightmares about trying to difuse a nuclear bomb which blows up in my face.closing quote
Kate, 13, Newcastle

opening quoteI get really scared when kids get kidnapped as you then start to realise that it could easily happen to you!! closing quote
Emma, 14, Glasgow

opening quoteI sometimes get really scared, like when Tony Blair says yeah we are gonna go to war and we are considering war!! I get so scared as I start to think my big brother will have to go into it!closing quote
Lyndsey, 14, Glasgow

opening quoteI don't feel scared really about what I hear on the news cos that stuff rarely happens. Cos it's on the news it sounds more regular, but there's probably no more than there was 10 or 20 years agoclosing quote
Keely, 12, Enfield

opening quoteMost of the news is about depressing facts. There isn't much to increase our morale.closing quote
David, 14, London

opening quoteI don't get scared by stuff I hear on the news because most of it rarely happens and I don't think there is any point of living in fear. Just go have some fun as you only live once.closing quote
Tim, 13, Horndean

More InfoBORDER=0
UKNews is giving children nightmares
UKWhat to do if the news upsets you
QuizTry our sleep quiz

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Snoring kids do badly at school
Sweet dreams can be ruined by chocolate
Too much sleep is 'bad for you'

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Lizo will answer your questions from America Lizo answers your sniper questions
Check out the latest from Fame Academy!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club