Sci/Tech
 Weather
 Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Are TV talent shows the best way to find pop stars?
Updated 21 October 2002, 18.07

Term is opening at the Fame Academy and Popstars: The Rivals is underway.

Once more we'll be able to watch hopefuls having their dreams dashed.

But the chosen few will then go on to fame, fortune and number one hits.

Is manufactured pop the future of music?

Or do you think the whole popstars bubble is about to burst?

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteThe bands that TV shows like Popstars produce, such as Hear'say, aren't really proper bands. They didn't work hard to become a pop group. Maybe they had good voices but that was only what they were judged on, not if they had the right personality.closing quote
Aili, 10, Edinburgh

opening quotePop idol was great! It is and was much better than Popstars because Hear'say aren't decent. Liberty X is better than Hear'say because they look the part.closing quote
Gemma, 12, Swndon

opening quoteThey are quite good, but I prefer Pop Idol to Pop Stars because with Pop Stars they more judged on looks more than singing.closing quote
Caroline, 11, Hornchurch

opening quoteI do like to watch the TV talent shows, but I don't think it is the best way to find a popstar. I think this because the judges sometimes lose the best singers just because they don't look right.closing quote
Alice, 12, Northampton

opening quoteI think that Pop Idol was great. I loved it, it shows how many talented people are out there. I think all 10 pop idols are much better than most people out there now. If Britney Spears went on Pop Idol she wouldn't get throughclosing quote
Hayley, 14, St Helens

opening quoteI used to think they were OK (not great) but that was before Hear'Say! Now I think they're stupid and pointless. If you want to be in a band you have to work for fame, not just be on some rubbish TV show!closing quote
Julie, 14, Manchester

opening quoteThe people who come out on top do HAVE talent. But they suck! It's a fact! Hear'say have gone down so far and Liberty X are much more popular! Same with Gareth and Will! Will won Pop Idol, but Gareth's songs stayed a week longer at the top of the charts than he did! And I'm sure if it hadn't been *Will Young* and *Gareth Gates* singing those songs, they'd have no way got to the top! Same with Hear'say!closing quote
Jay, 14, Scotland

opening quoteI think that Pop Idol is stupid. It's fun to watch but the winners are, in my eyes, not 'proper'. They don't work as hard as people like Robbie Williams and become stars selling more records overnight. Also they will always be branded as 'the winner of pop idol'.closing quote
Sara, 14, London

opening quoteLet's face it, everyone will watch it just to see how rubbish some of the people are.closing quote
Christian, 12, London

opening quoteI think it's a complete waste of time, most people who audition get blamed at for who they are, and that is totally unfair. It's also embarrasing for the people too because they get humiliated in front of millions of people who are watching them. In my opinion it's just a complete waste of time and popstars are only doing this for publicity.closing quote
Amber, 13, London

opening quoteOne from Popstars and one from Pop Idol is enough, i think that there are too many shows now to produce stars and I think that if you want to be famous they should record and write to a record company like everyone else.closing quote
Rachel 13, Grantham

opening quoteRemember Hear'say? They were RUBBISH!! If someone want's to be in a decent band they should get there through hard work and talent, not through going on a TV show.closing quote
Amanda, 12, Thamesmead

opening quoteOh here we go again. Yet more people who compared to the average person on the street can sing, but when compared to the likes of Kylie, Jennifer Lopez, and Mariah Carey, it makes you realise just how pants they really are. Just listen to a Hear'say song after you've heard ANY other song in the Top 40 at the moment and you'll see exactly what I mean. Only this year it will be twice as worse, with two bands at the end of it (but on purpose this time), cos the producers are trying to replicate the whole Will v Gareth saga.closing quote
Natalie, 14, Leicestershire

opening quoteI think it's stupid. I've been to adutitions myself and I know how upsetting it is when you get told you're not good enough, but to be told it on TV, in front of the nation must be awful. But people only go because they want to be on TVclosing quote
Shelly, 13, London

opening quoteWe all know the story, they're going to be rubbish band's, be big for around 6 months, then people will get sick of them, look at Hear'Say, and people are going off Will Young already!closing quote
Hannah, 11, Milton Keynes

opening quotePopstars is just a publicity stunt and people get their feelings hurt. There was loads of swearing and people just wasted time watching it when they could be doing something else.closing quote
Torie, 11, Guildford

opening quotePopstars is stupid. The judges just go on appearance! OK, fair enough some of them do have a good voice but those who haven't got the right image are kicked out even if they can sing! It's so manufactured! closing quote
Jade, 13, Leeds

opening quoteI think it is a good idea because there are lots of people out there that have lots of talent and want to get it noticed, but they don¿t know how. Also not all bands are like Hear' Say, Westlife were manufactured and they've had 11 number ones and have signed another 5 album deal.!closing quote
Rachel, 13, Lincoln

opening quoteLook what happened to Hear'Say and Liberty X. The losers became more popular in the end than the winners, like Gareth Gates being just as popular as Will. We all love a loser because we feel for them.closing quote
Frances, 15, Newton Abbot

opening quotePopstars sux! They produce a bunch of people who might be able to sing, but don't look like any sort of real band out there. I'm not even talking about decent bands like Doves, even S Club actually look like pop stars. Hear'Say look like Big Brother rejects!closing quote
Ant, 15, Portsmouth

More InfoBORDER=0
TV/FilmGeri upsets one wannabe
Find OutWhat happened in Popstars I
ChatOur chat with Liberty X
VoteVote: your fave popstar
Club'Pop music's changing'

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
How to be a star
Popstars 2 auditions on the way
Davina to host Popstars 2
Geri rumoured to be Popstars 2 judge
Public to pick new Popstars

BORDER=0

Web Links
BORDER=0
Hear'Say's official site
Liberty X official site
Note: You will leave CBBC. We are not responsible for other websites.

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Lizo will answer your questions from America Lizo answers your sniper questions
Check out the latest from Fame Academy!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club