Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Does too much TV make you violent?
Updated 02 April 2002, 15.12

Research says that if you watch more than hour of TV a day, you could be more violent as an adult.

Links have already been made between playing computer games and violent behaviour.

But do you think watching television can make you violent in later life?

Does it make any difference what type of programmes you are watching?

Let everyone know your thoughts below!

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteAdults have been going on about this for ages, but it's only going to make you violent if you watch wrestling all the time.closing quote
Rob, 11, Nottingham

opening quoteIt really depends on what sort of TV you watch and what kind of mind you have. If you'll do whatever you see on TV because you think it will make you cool, you probably will be more violent as an adult if you watch too much TV. If you just watch TV to enjoy it, then you probably won't become violent later in life. closing quote
Annie, 13, London

opening quoteTV rules! It will only make people violent if they don't have common sense - I mean it can't be that bad not THAT many people go around copying what they see on TV WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT?!closing quote
Jodie, 14, Yarm

opening quoteWe watch quite a bit of TV and we are not at all violent! It might depend on what you watch though.closing quote
Ellie & Holly, 12, Bath

opening quoteIt depends on how stupid you are. If you are stupid enough to copy what ever you see on TV etc then you have a problem.closing quote
Niz, 14, Slough

opening quoteI think that if you watch the right things then you are fine. On weekends my brother watches TV all day, and after that he gets angry if my mother has to turn it off. My brother watches anything, I only like ones with animals and some heroic things.closing quote
Sophia, 12, Athens

opening quoteWatching too much TV is likelier to make you lazier than make you violent in later life. Psychologists are coming up with stupider theories everyday. Come on guys, tell us something really important! closing quote
Myona, 15,

opening quoteI don't think the test is that fair, because if you just watch programmes like the Simpsons all the time then you're not going to be that violent, are you? Even if you do watch films and telly with fighting in something always tells you it's not real, so I think it depends on the person, whether they're violent naturally. closing quote
Gemma, 13, Maidenhead

opening quoteI don't think watching TV makes you violent at all, and British experts say the research is misleading. TV RULES!! closing quote
Natalie, 14, Leicestershire

opening quoteI think it is rubbish, we cannot do n e thing without it being bad for us closing quote
Mary, 15, Cardiff

opening quoteI think that it depends on the person's state of mind. If they take in what they watch and use it badly, then it's only them who made themselves do it. Loads of other people watch violent programmes and don't act on it at all. closing quote
MinMoot, 12, High Wycombe

opening quoteI think it depends on your age. Like, me and my 8-year-old sister were watching a film which had a lot of Ninja fighting in it and all of a sudden she leapt up and started kicking and hitting me for no reason!! When my parents were telling her off, she just said "But the people on TV were doing it and it looked fun!" closing quote
Nisha, 14, Leicester

opening quoteThis has confused me. I watch a lot of horror movies but this doesn't mean I'd go round murdering people! closing quote
Sarah, 15, Grimsby

opening quoteI don¿t watch that much TV. I think it depends on what programs you watch as to whether it makes you violent closing quote
Rachel, 13, Birmingham

opening quoteI think watching TV could make you more violent as some shows have horrible things that children should not be allowed to see. Also I think you should spend your time doing useful things like homework or helping around the house. closing quote
Winnie, 12, London

opening quoteI don't really think it does but it depends what you watch. Calm tranquil scenes aren't going to make you violent!! closing quote
Abigail, 13, Leicester

opening quoteI think watching lots of TV makes you more relaxed closing quote
Ashley, 10, Exeter

More InfoBORDER=0
VoteVote for your fave TV programme

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Teen TV habits 'linked to violence'

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Who influences you the most? Vote: who influences you the most?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Win a Haunted Mansion goody bag!
Play Rings Slider Challenge Play our tricky Rings Slider game!
Guides A-Z
A clickable list of all our guides
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club