The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Forgotten Afghanistan
Updated 26 February 2002, 11.09
Refugee boy carrying rice
Has the world forgotten Afghanistan?

In Friday's Newsround Extra, Matthew revisited Afghanistan to see how children are coping after the war and drought.

If you saw the programme, what did you think of it?

And do you worry that as the months go by, people will forget about the suffering there?

Go to the form

opening quote My uncle is out there with the army at the moment, he sends us back letters of how terrible it is. The world should not forget these images and help every way they can. closing quote
Laura, 15, North Yorkshire

opening quote We have to realise how lucky we are. We sometimes moan and groan about silly, little things, but when a young girl is sold off for money, for buying food, it's shocking and so sad. closing quote
Andrew, 10, Worcester Park

opening quote I think that our country and others should be doing more to help the Afghan people in their hard time. Seeing that Newsround Extra made me very guilty about having things that they don't have. closing quote
Tim, 10, Northampton

opening quote I think the young girls being sold for marriage just shows how desperate people are. No parent would ever want to do that unless they really had to. It must be heart breaking! closing quote
Mariam, 13, Aldershot

opening quote We take so many things for granted, clothes, food, our homes and families. These people have NOTHING! closing quote
Samuel Connor, 14, Maghera, N.Ireland

opening quote How scary! Who would want to marry a girl that young? closing quote
Kaz, 12, Liverpool

opening quote I think we should treat Afghanis like the human beings they are, and not as if they are pieces of meat being sold at the market. closing quote
Michael Jepps, 9, Newport

opening quote I don't understand why we give our support to America, who bomb the Afghanistan, then we pay to send them resources. We cannot be on everyone's side! closing quote
Kim, 16, East Yorks

opening quote I think it is terrible how young girls are being sold to get married. We are very lucky where we live because we have plenty food and no droughts. closing quote
Sarah, 13, Isle of Lewis

opening quote Newsround made me think how lucky I am. I am very upset about the way they treat those children. It made me cry for hours. closing quote
Mit, 13, Largs

opening quote Well most people will forget but a few will remember. Do you remember the suffering people in the volcano country? What volcano? closing quote
Frances, 15, Newton Abbot

opening quote I think it's terrible how people in Afghanistan have to live. We should have a charity to help them. I'm glad I live here. closing quote
Jessica Shenton, 9, Crieff

opening quote It's awful how a drought and US bombing spree came at the same time for Afghan citizens. The refugee camps would be less crowded if there was no bombing and there would be more supplies for those suffering from the effects of the drought. I think the reason the USA is trying to take control of Afghanistan is for an oil pipe line. It is sad how oil equals lives to President Bush. closing quote
Alice, 14

opening quote I wish I was a rain god, so I could help the drought. closing quote
Lilith, 9, Leamington Spa

opening quote It totally sickens me that a girl of 12 could be sold off like an object to get married. What's even worse is that they seem to think it's just normal to do this. It's really horrible. closing quote
Kim, 12, Strathaven

opening quote The Newsround report made me realise just how sad the children must be especially when young girls have to be sold for marriage just for some money. closing quote
Charlotte, 10, Taunton

opening quote I think America and Britain have to do more to rebuild Afghanistan than send out a peace keeping force. Afghanistan needs money to start again after the Taleban, Osama bin Laden and daisy cutters. closing quote
Bronagh, 12, Derry

opening quote If the conditions are so poor that you must sell your daughter for 60 worth of food, then surely the world has forgotten Afghanistan. closing quote
Nadine, 11, Birmingham

opening quote It must be really horrible for everyone there. I think every rich country like us should help them. Life is to short to be sad! closing quote
Lydia, 11, Northamptonshire

opening quote I was extremely shocked to see that 12 year old girls were being sold off, but I sympathise with their fathers as they do not have much choice. I think the UK is far too rich and we should help those in need without expecting anything in return. closing quote
Ceri Broussine, 13, Wotton-under-Edge

opening quote Watching Newsround Extra made me upset, seeing so many children with no shoes, and having to travel many miles to the camps which is still is a terrible place. closing quote
Sophie Peters, 13, Prestwood

opening quote I'm so lucky to live where I do. It's important to remember what their lives are like and be grateful for what we have. closing quote
Kate, 13, Birmingham

opening quote I feel really sorry for everyone living in poor countries such as Afghanistan. Watching the documentary really made me think how lucky I am. closing quote
Lizzie, 12

opening quote The world should think about helping Afghanistan. The country in now free of war and the world I think has forgotten about some parts of the country. closing quote
Elgan Thomas, 15, Penmachno

opening quote I think it's absolutely disgusting how those little children have got to eat so little and it makes me feel angry at the way they are treated. closing quote
Robyn Brown, 10, Gloucestershire

opening quote All I want to know is what is the world coming to! closing quote
Kate, 13

opening quote As an American, we see documentaries of the War on Terror every night. I keep the children of Afghanistan in my prayers, just as much as I do the victims of the September 11. If you want to learn more about Afghan families under the Taleban, read The Breadwinner. closing quote
Katie, 14, New Jersey, USA

opening quote Forcing that 12 year old girl to get married was really unacceptable but we should respect what their lifestyle is like. closing quote
Natalie, 11, Glasgow

opening quote I think the young girls being sold for marrige just shows how desperate people are. No parent would ever want to do that unless they really had to. It must be heart breaking! closing quote
Mariam, 13, Aldershot

opening quote I think our country is far too rich and we should help those in need without expecting anything in return. closing quote
Ceri, 13, Wotton-under-Edge

opening quote I feel like the only American kid who actually cares about Afghanistan. closing quote
Kaleigh, 13, Wethersfield, USA

opening quote I think America and Britain have to do more to rebuild Afghanistan. closing quote
Bronagh, 12, Derry

opening quote I think it is terrible how young girls are being sold to get married. We are very lucky where we live because we have plenty food and no droughts. closing quote
Sarah, 13, Isle of Lewis

opening quote Seeing that 12-year-old being forced to get married, made me extremely thankful for for what I have in life. closing quote
Sarah, 13, Leamington spa

opening quote I was shocked at how girls of 12 were being sold like cars to be married off. I personally feel that even if you were starving to death selling your family doesn't even qualify as a last resort! closing quote
Oliver, 14, Bristol

opening quote Newsround made me realy sad. I'm glad I live here. closing quote
Sarah, 8, Leeds

opening quote I still think it's still important to remember how hard their lives are. closing quote
James, 12, Liverpool

BORDER=0

Your name

Your age

Your town

Your comment

Thanks for your comment. We'll try and put up as many e-mails as possible.
BORDER=0

More InfoBORDER=0
WorldAfghan girls sold into marriage for food

BORDER=0

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Follow Matthew's trip to Afghanistan
Harry Potter special section All our stories in FULL Harry section
© BBC Back to top^^