Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Foreign languages
Updated 13 February 2002, 16.41
Classroom
Plans being considered by the government mean you could start learning a foreign language when you're only 7 years old!

But do you think it's right that you have to learn a foreign language at school?

Do you think it's useful? Or do you think learning languages like French and German is a waste of time?

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteWhat's the point in learning another language when most countries learn English? closing quote
Sophie, 14, Crewe

opening quoteI think learning languages in primary school is a good idea because the younger you are, the quicker you'll pick it up. So in the end you'll be better at French than someone who leant it in year seven. closing quote
Nicola Francois, 13, Enfield

opening quoteI think we should learn another language but not at the age of seven because it's hard enough in secondary school let alone having to learn another language at the age of seven! closing quote
Charlotte, 16, Bristol

opening quoteI don't really mind having to do my French GCSE because people from other countries have to learn English, so why don't we take the time to learn their languages as well? I think it's quite rude and lazy to expect others to learn English when we can't be bothered to learn their language. closing quote
Jenny, 16, Durham

opening quoteSeven is too young, children barely know English by then. closing quote
Pamela, 13, Wolverhampton

opening quoteWhat's the point in learning another language when most countries learn English? closing quote
Sophie, 14, Crewe

opening quoteIt is quite rude and lazy to expect others to learn English when we can't be bothered to learn their languages. closing quote
Jenny, 16, Durham

opening quoteI hate French and would love to give it up, but in the long-run it is going to be very useful. closing quote
Becky, 14, Carshalton

opening quoteI think it's a good idea to learn languages, but if you find it difficult you should have the choice to give it up!closing quote
Jodi, 14, Northampton

opening quoteI really enjoy learning languages. I think it's great idea to introduce children at a younger age because they will take it in better.closing quote
Nicole, 12, Glasgow

opening quoteLearning a language is useless to me and many others, unless they want to go to those countries, which I don't.closing quote
Luke, 13, Jersey

opening quoteI don't think it's fair that kids in nursery should learn languages cos if they get bored then, they'll never like school! closing quote
Hannah, 11, Stafford

opening quoteI think that we should chose whether or not to take languages because I'd love to give up French. closing quote
Charlotte, 12, Stoke

opening quoteI think we should learn languages at school because we live in Europe and when we go on holiday abroad it'll be easier. I enjoy languages at school. closing quote
Laura Salt, 13, Sheffield
opening quoteI find German very hard and I don't think 7-year olds will understand it at all.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Grimsby

opening quoteI don't think it's fair at all that you have to learn French. closing quote
Brooke Crawford, 10, View Lake

opening quoteI think we should learn a language as it helps us later on in life. I also believe we should get to pick the langauge. closing quote
Hollie, 15, London

opening quoteI don't think that students should have to take a language at all! It's bad enough and hard enough in secondary school without having to hate school at an earlier age! I also think that cleverer students skipping GCSE's is a bit ridiculous! Why not just put us in sets like most schools do? I think practical courses are a brilliant idea, and people who maybe aren't so good at all lessons or maybe even all aspects of P.E. could do well out of it! But as for the languages and GCSE's... BAD IDEA! closing quote
Terri, 14, Cleveland

opening quoteIt's useful but I find it really difficult. closing quote
Jason, 12, Weymouth

More InfoBORDER=0
UKClever kids could 'skip' GCSEs
ClubStudents should decide subjects at school

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club