Pictures
 Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

School style
Updated 07 February 2002, 18.47
Are teachers too strict on the way you look?
Two schoolgirls have been told not to attend school because their hairstyles may distract other students.

Do you think schools are too strict in the way you look?

What would your school do if you arrived with an outrageous hairstyle?

And are these rules out-of-date? Should teachers accept that children want to look fashionable?

Let us know what you think!

Unfortunately this topic is now closed but there are Comments pages on other subjects on the main Chat index.

opening quoteWhy don't you just tuck your shirt in when you see a teacher, then untuck it again. closing quote
James, 12, Bristol

opening quoteThey never let us wear trousers at our school - it's stupid as in winter it gets really cold. We have a pale grey skirt - not very original! And our skirts have to be EXACTLY three inches above the MID-POINT of the knee - what is the point? closing quote
Sharon, 12, St Albans

opening quoteOur Deputy Head is the worst for uniform. If our ties are too short she makes you do them again and if she thinks you have a bit of concealer on, she makes you wash your face. Our skirts cannot be above the knee either, it's not as if they will stop us learning! closing quote
Charlotte, 14, Stoke-on-Trent

opening quoteIf there is the tiniest bit of white on your shoes then you get a letter sent home to your parents or detention. The teachers don't seem to appreciate that some parents can't afford to buy their children new shoes just because of petty rules. closing quote
Emma, 14, Clevedon

opening quoteIn our school we have strict rules but some are very weird...we can only have "three earrings per face" and we can only wear "navy hair ties" in our hair! And our school uniforms are like kilts even though we live in London! closing quote
Becky, 14, London

opening quoteMy school's OK. They're not too strict about make-up but they go mad if your shirt isn't tucked in. They don't mind too much about hair styles and piercings though. closing quote
Kris, 14, Rushden

opening quoteOur teachers go mad if our tie isn't four badges long. The length of our tie isn't going to affect our work. We also have to keep our shirts tucked in and have to wear black shoes with heels lower than 6cm, it's soooo unfair! closing quote
Alison, 14, Grimsby

opening quoteAt my school we aren't even allowed to take off ties or change into our own clothes. On the way home we have to wear full school uniform all the time in school hours. closing quote
Jack, 11, London

opening quoteI go to a girls' school and you can't wear nail varnish and if you are caught with it on you have to use nail varnish remover from the school. Plus we can only wear one ring, stud earrings, no bracelets and no necklaces. closing quote
Crystal, 13, Melksham

opening quoteAt my school, the only thing we can't wear is trainers, unless we have a doctor's note. closing quote
Crystal, 13, Melksham

opening quoteIf your clothes have a slogan or pattern on them, you have to take it off or get a detention. I think that it's not fair. We don't have a proper uniform but we aren't allowed to wear anything we want to either. closing quote
Michelle, 13, London

opening quoteAt my school you get told off for taking your jumper off unless it's really hot, and even then you need permission! The teachers are allowed to wear jewellery so why can't we? Who cares what hairstyle you have? It doesn't affect your work! The teachers always go on about how we need to be individual, and yet we're not allowed to choose our own appearance! And not everyone suits the school colours! closing quote
Saffron, 13, Doncaster

opening quoteAt my school they're really strict at wearing your blazer, I hate them, they're either too hot or too cold! closing quote
Rachel, 11, Newcastle

opening quoteAt my school, it's okay. We are allowed to wear studs in our ears and short skirts but they don't like the fashionable 'diamond' socks and tights. closing quote
Rachel, 12, Ellesmere Port

opening quoteThis week I got sent home as I had a school t-shirt on, not a jumper. Come on, it doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you don't forget your head you'll be fine. closing quote
Hollie, 15, London

opening quoteOur headmaster is SO strict about school ties, you'd think they were going to change the world! closing quote
Jennifer, 12, London

opening quoteAt my school teachers stand waiting to catch the kids that have their shirts untucked as we're walking out of school, I don't see the point school's finished anyway! closing quote
Sian, 12, Maidstone

opening quoteIn our school u cannot leave the grounds unless you have your blazers on and I am not a fan of them so I am always getting shouted at. Teachers should really get a life! closing quote
Claire, 15, Belfast

opening quoteI think schools are right for being strict. Otherwise there would be no discipline in the school. closing quote
Jenny, 13, Derby

opening quoteMy school is really cool about uniform. As long as we wear black or white they don't care about anything else. The teachers even let us wear trainers and the boys in my class have blue, red and green hair (apparently going for the traffic light look!). closing quote
Gemma, 13, Tillicoultry

opening quotePeople should have a right to have their hair however they like - it's their hair! closing quote
Abi, 11, Edinburgh

opening quoteWe are not allowed to wear nail varnish or jewellery!closing quote
Laura, 12, West Sussex

opening quoteI think it's stupid, as if the way you look or what you wear will affect your school work!closing quote
Ashley, Northampton

opening quoteAt my school teachers go mad if you don't keep your shirt tucked into your trousers. I think it makes us look neater with our shirts out. School is really unfair. I'm sure the teachers like making our lives hard.closing quote
Sarah, 14, Grimsby

opening quoteAt my school we can't wear earrings and we're always told to pull our jumper sleeves down - teachers should lighten up!closing quote
Felicity, 14, Edinburgh

More InfoBORDER=0
UK'Zoe hair' girls kept off school
ChatChat about school stuff
VoteVote: do you like wearing a school uniform?

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Your Comments now:
Your views on forced marriages
Your messages for Paula Radcliffe
What did you do for bonfire night?
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Play Celebrity Bathtime! Join the celebs for a dunking in the bath!
Try our quiz! Quiz: Think you know about Avril Lavigne?
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club