Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Kym Marsh in the hotseat
Updated 04 July 2003, 08.45
Kym Marsh in the hotseat
Singer Kym Marsh is about to be a huge solo star.

Earlier we got her into the studio for a webchat.

But don't worry if you missed it, because if you click below, you can see the full chat.

Watch webchatWatch video webchat

• What is the single all about - Come on Over - what does that mean?
  • You and Jack Ryder make a wicked couple. Is it true that you wrote the song Cry to say sorry to the rest of Hear'Say?
  • You were great when I went to see you in concert with Hear'Say. Are you going to do any solo concerts?
  • What has been the most memorable moment since you became a solo artist?
  • I heard that you had a bit of trouble at school because you dreamt of being a performer, did that make you even more determined?
  • Is it true that you used to be in a band with David from Triple 8?
  • Did you enjoy making the video for your new single Come on Over?
  • Did you always want to be a solo singer or did you want to sing in a band?
  • If you had the chance to relive the Popstars experience would you and is there anything you would change?
  • Did you have any regrets about leaving Hear'Say?
  • Do you think Hear'Say would have done better if you'd stayed with them?
  • Was it true that you and Myleene really hated each other and if so why and was there anybody else you didn't get along with in Hear'Say?
  • If you could trade places with anyone else in the music business who would it be and why?
  • What do David and Emily think about your solo career?
  • Out of the lyrics from your album and the singles which means the most to you?
  • When you got married why did you keep your old name and not take Jack's surname?
  • If you had never married Jack who would your dream husband be?
  • Were you seeing Jack for a while before everyone else found out about it?
  • How do you feel about people saying that you influenced Jack Ryder to leave EastEnders?
  • What kind of music do you listen to?
  • Would you do duets with anybody in the future?
  • What is your next ambition in your singing career?
  • If you were left on deserted island for a month, for charity, what would you take with you and you can't take Jack?
  • Have you read the new Harry Potter yet and if you have what do you reckon?
  • What do you like doing when you have time off work?
  • If you weren't a singer what would your job be now?

Tania, 12
    What is the single all about - Come on Over - what does that mean?

Kym Marsh: Well Tania I think it's kind of about a woman who's had a bit of a fallout with her fella and she's saying, you know, come on over and we'll sort it all out. So yes that's what it's about.

Adam: Did you write it or co-write it?

Kym Marsh: No I didn't unfortunately, I wish I did but I didn't, somebody wrote it for me. So it's not from personal experience I have to say but I enjoy singing it anyway, it's a really good track and it's very summer sounding, so it's quite fitting for this time of year.

Zoe, 14, France
    You and Jack Ryder make a wicked couple. Is it true that you wrote the song Cry to say sorry to the rest of Hear'Say?

Kym Marsh: No, no I didn't.

Adam: How did you feel when Hear'Say split up - did you cry?

Kym Marsh: I was really upset when they split actually because even though I'd walked away it was weird because I still felt like I'd helped to create it and now it was gone, it was like - oh no - I was very upset, I was quite shocked as well really because I thought that they would have carried on.

Emma, 11, London
    You were great when I went to see you in concert with Hear'Say. Are you going to do any solo concerts?

Kym Marsh: Yeah hopefully. I mean it depends how well the album does really. The album's released on the 21st July, so if the album does really well then maybe next year we could look at doing some solo tours, which would be really, really good for me, it's something I'm really looking forward to doing.

Adam: Are you going to be doing lots of live shows this summer - like Party in the Park and things like that?

Kym Marsh: Yeah I've got Party in the Park on Sunday, I've got Birmingham Party in the Park on Saturday and there's been loads of radio roadshows I've been doing, there's many more coming up, so they're keeping us very busy.

Adam: Do you get nervous just before you go on stage?

Kym Marsh: Sometimes. I'll be nervous on Sunday because there's like a hundred thousand people out there, so it's pretty mad and it's the first time I've done that on my own, I was at a Party in the Park with Hear'Say but the first time by myself so it's always a bit nerve-wracking. And the day I don't have nerves is the day that you should give up really.

Samantha, 14, Burton Latimer
    I think you're fab. What has been the most memorable moment since you became a solo artist?

Kym Marsh: Well it's got to be getting number two with Cry really I think. Because when I was due to put out the single I'd been away for like 15 months, didn't really have a clue what public perception was, I didn't even know if I had any fans out there still. So when it reached number two it was great for me because it meant that I realised that there was still a lot of fans out there who were right behind me and that meant a lot.

Gillian, 14, Haddington
    I heard that you had a bit of trouble at school because you dreamt of being a performer, did that make you even more determined and how did that make you feel at the time?

Kym Marsh: Yeah definitely I did have - I was bullied quite a bit because I wasn't into going to under 18s discos and I wasn't really into boys and stuff like that, I was more interested in setting up my career, even at that age, I mean singing was something that I'd always wanted to do since being four years old. And they just found it a little bit weird that I didn't want to go and hang out and stuff like that. And I did get picked on. But it does make you more determined I think definitely, if you really want something so badly then you just go for it and you don't really care what other people think.

Adam: What do all your old mates think now, now that you're a massive selling solo artist?

Kym Marsh: Well the thing is that they all laugh because I just haven't changed at all to them. It's really funny because a lot of people don't really know how to talk to you, like from where you used to live and everything, and you go back and people are kind of like - they'll stand next to you in the shop and they'll be like this and they don't really know what to say because they think that you've changed but actually it's them that's changed towards you. All my friends just think it's really funny, so if they knew the real you they'd just think you were so horrible. I'm like yeah right, so charming.

Adam: Did you have a nickname at school?

Kym Marsh: I had lots but the main one I think was Trio, that my brother used to call me Trio because there used to be a biscuit years ago named Trio and there was a girl on the advert named Susie who had the biggest mouth and my brother used to call me Trio because he said I had a big mouth, I was very loud. I can't imagine why he thought that.

Susan, Enfield
    Is it true that you used to be in a band with David from Triple 8?

Kym Marsh: Yes. It was about five years ago - four or five years ago. It was called Hymn and I auditioned him actually for the band because there was me and another girl and two other boys at the time we were auditioning for a third boy. And he was at the auditions and he got in. He's very sweet, he's a cheeky chappy but he's very sweet.

Kelly, Telford
    Did you enjoy making the video for your new single Come on Over?

Kym Marsh: I did, I loved it, I had a really great time doing it. I've been very lucky where videos have been concerned because the first one was in Cape Town, the second one was in Rome and we had so much fun there, so I'm definitely due some kind of aircraft hangar somewhere aren't I.

Adam: The walking backward bit, how did you do that?

Kym Marsh: Oh that was really difficult because I had to just trust that I wasn't going to smash into that lamp-post that was behind me and at one point I stepped back and I had high heels on and I caught the back of one of those girls feet with my heel. It was awful but we had so much fun. And those girls were Italian and couldn't really speak much English but we just looked like we were having a laugh.

Amy, 11, Edinburgh
    Did you always want to be a solo singer or did you want to sing in a band?

Kym Marsh: I think it didn't really matter to me to be honest, I just knew that I wanted to be a singer and I didn't know whether that was going to be part of a band or as a solo artist and it just so happens that it works out better for me on my own because I get to juggle my life and my career much easier because I've got children and everything and I have to be there for them and sometimes when you're with a band it's not always possible because a lot of decisions are made by the group and sometimes it's not always right for me.

Kate, 13, Bottesford
    If you had the chance to relive the Popstars experience would you and is there anything you would change?

Kym Marsh: Yeah I would, I'd do it all again, I would do it all again because without that part of my life I wouldn't be where I am now, it wouldn't have given me this opportunity and I wouldn't have met Jack and everything would have been completely different. So I would definitely do it all over again. Although if I knew then what I know now I'd be better prepared for it I think, I don't think any of us were really prepared for the press and everything else. So I think we'd look into things a little bit more than we did.

Sophie, 15, Manchester
    Did you have any regrets about leaving Hear'Say?

Kym Marsh: No I didn't because it was right for me at the time. Obviously when I realised that the guys were really upset, obviously I don't want to hurt anybody, that was definitely not on the agenda and so that was - did upset me. But I left for my children's sake and I think that was really important and anybody would do the same thing, so I definitely don't regret leaving, I didn't have any regrets no, when I left.

Adam: Was it a really sort of sudden decision that one day you were like I've got to do it today or had you been building up to it for a while?

Kym Marsh: Yeah we talked about it when Everybody, the album, was released, it was talked about, it was discussed that I would leave the early part of the following year and Everybody was released in the November. So it had been known for a few months that that's what I was going to do. And I think maybe the others didn't really believe that I was going to do it, in their heart of hearts and maybe it was a bit of a shock to them that I actually went through with it.

Jack, 14, York
    I think you're fab. Do you think Hear'Say would have done better if you'd stayed with them?

Kym Marsh: No. No, that's a question that I get asked quite a lot actually and I don't think that that is the case. I think that they still got a number five single after I left and if I got number five with Come on Over I'd be really, really pleased, it's nothing to be sniffed at, it's a really good achievement and especially after - they did have an awful lot of bad press surrounding Johnny's appointment and all that kind of stuff and I think that they did really, really well. So I don't think it was anything to do with me, I think they just really genuinely had just got very disillusioned and they'd had enough and wanted to call it a day for themselves really.

Kirsty, 12, Ballyclare
    Was it true that you and Myleene really hated each other and if so why and was there anybody else you didn't get along with in Hear'Say?

Kym Marsh: No we didn't hate each other at all. I think that was just - obviously we all had little rows with each other, I mean when you're living with someone 24 hours a day and working with them and eating with them you're going to have little rows and things like that but it was never like oh me and Myleene were always fighting or anything like that, we did have bickers but that was the way it was and I think it was just blown out of all proportion by the press. It's a bit like Chinese whispers - it starts out as something so small and ends up something else. And that was the way it was really. I mean on the whole we all really got on very well, so it was just a big fabrication.

Emma, 15, Shirebrook
    If you could trade places with anyone else in the music business who would it be and why?

Kym Marsh: It has to be Madonna I think because - not that I want to be forty something right now but I just think that she's had a blinding career, I mean she's - how long has she been around for and people still love her, that's what I would love to achieve is just some longevity and just to continue to be able to do this into my forties. So it's a dream.

Kelly, Telford
    What do David and Emily think about your solo career?

Kym Marsh: I think I know who this Kelly is, by the way, I think she's one of my fans who writes to me. David and Emily are very, very proud of their mummy and that's nice but at the end of the day they still see me as just their mum, which is really important to me because I would hate it if they thought - if they went around going my mum's - I would hate that, that would be awful. But they're really supportive and that's the best support that I've got is theirs really - they watch me on TV and shout and cheer and things.

John, London
    Out of the lyrics from your album and the singles which means the most to you?

Kym Marsh: Well I've co-written three on the album, so I suppose all of those having written them myself they obviously mean quite a lot. I wrote one of my tracks on the album is called Because of You and it's totally about my children and the way that I felt from the minute they were born and how they've changed my life and the way I feel about it and that I guess is the one that really gets to me because I put everything into that, completely, all my feelings. So I guess that one. But I suppose on a different level I suppose if we're looking at it from a I'm here to stay kind of thing I suppose Standing Tall, which is the title track of the album - the lyrics and that are basically she's saying I've been through a lot and I'm still here.

Adam: You did something quite clever on your website didn't you about the album - just explain that.

Kym Marsh: Because there's so much downloading going on at the moment of not just my stuff but there's a lot of music being downloaded at the minute on the web and it's kind of unfair to everybody really. And there's a thing on my website where you can actually download the album before it's released and we send you a copy of the album as well on the release day. So - I mean obviously you have to pay for it, I have to earn my money right.

Chelsea, 14, St Leonards on Sea
    When you got married why did you keep your old name and not take Jack's surname?

Kym Marsh: I have taken Jack's surname. I'm Kym Ryder, all my personal stuff is Kym Ryder but I've kept Kym Marsh purely as a stage name, so nothing else. I felt that Kym Marsh is something that - it's kind of like a brand name, you know when certain sweets and things they change their name from one thing to another, you still always call them the same old name, you can't ever get used to calling them the new name and that's kind of why I did it, I think people recognise that name more than they would have recognised the new one. And it's also nice to have some stuff just for you. But it gets confusing, it gets really confusing because like you'll be at the doctors and they'll go Kym Ryder and I'll be going, reading my magazine, oh it's me sorry.

Heather, Liverpool
    If you had never married Jack who would your dream husband be?

Kym Marsh: My dream husband - not Justin Timberlake that's for sure, I don't get that at all. I don't know - George Clooney or something.

Adam: Okay what pop stars do you think are quite fit?

Kym Marsh: Well the Busted boys are cute, probably - how about Charlie from Busted, how about that? He's young as well.

Samantha, 11
    Were you seeing Jack for a while before everyone else found out about it?

Kym Marsh: Yes I was.

Adam: How long for?

Kym Marsh: About a month, we were seeing each other yeah. We wanted to keep it quiet because when you start a relationship, especially when you're in the public eye, it's a bit difficult because you want to make sure that you're getting along and you really like each other before you kind of make it public knowledge because when people break up when you're in our jobs it's very messy, the papers get involved and everyone that doesn't need to know knows and it's just rubbish, so we kept to ourselves for a little while. So we were sneaking around, very naughty.

Eleanor, 14, London
    How do you feel about people saying that you influenced Jack Ryder to leave EastEnders?

Kym Marsh: That's quite funny actually when people say that because he wouldn't do something like that, if I told him to do something he'd tell me where to go. I mean it confused me a little bit because I don't really understand why people would think that would benefit me, by him leaving, because he's still doing stuff, he's going to be doing movies - he's going over to the States and things like that - so that means time away from me. So I mean that wouldn't benefit me at all, it would have been better if he was round the corner for my sake. But he's got a dream of being a movie star and I supported him all the way and like he did with me, he supported my decision to leave Hear'Say, and it's important - you've got to support each other's career and that's what we did.

Jess, 12, Ulverston
    What kind of music do you listen to?

Kym Marsh: I like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I'm a bit of a rock chick I think deep down. I like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers but to be honest with you I can listen to anything and really appreciate it, I don't really have - that's my band and I don't listen to anything else. So I really like Busted and I love the Triple Eight album and I'm really into Avril Lavigne and Pink but my main band is the Chilli Peppers.

Rachel, 14, Herts
    Would you do duets with anybody in the future?

Kym Marsh: Yeah, I don't see why not. I think that's always something that you should keep an open mind about because it can be quite cool. It depends who with. I'd probably want to do it with somebody a bit more current because everyone always does duets with Elton John or Bryan Adams and kind of veterans of the music industry whereas I'd rather do it with somebody like Lee from Blue or Duncan from Blue or somebody like that, who's got a really good voice and is more up to date and current.

Tina, 14, Swansea
    What is your next ambition in your singing career?

Kym Marsh: I'd just like my album to do really, really well. I obviously want to go do some touring next year and just be taken seriously as a solo artist and for people to just kind of acknowledge that I'm on my own now and I'm doing alright.

Nabilah, 14, Ilford
    If you were left on deserted island for a month, for charity, what would you take with you and you can't take Jack?

Kym Marsh: Okay, what would I take with me? My mobile phone because it takes pictures and everything and games, yeah it's got to be that, I can't live without my mobile.

Adam: What if the island doesn't have mobile phone coverage?

Kym Marsh: It has to, that's in the deal. If it doesn't then I'd have to take some chocolate just to comfort myself.

Karen, 12, Birmingham
    Have you read the new Harry Potter yet and if you have what do you reckon?

Kym Marsh: I'm in the middle of reading it right now because I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, like so mad and I couldn't wait for the book. And what happened was I ordered it - I ordered two copies - it hadn't arrived by the time I left for the airport, so I bought another copy while I was at the airport so I could read it on the plane and then I left that somewhere with my friend and because I couldn't wait to get it back I had to buy another one. So I've got three copies of the book. I'm only halfway through at the moment but no one tell me what happens. But I think it's great so far.

Rosalyn, 14, Hampshire
    What do you like doing when you have time off work?

Kym Marsh: I like to - this sounds really rubbish and boring - but I like to go training when I can because I like to keep fit and so I like to go jogging and stuff. I also like taking the children out - so we'll go to like the bowling or something or the pictures and eating out with the family and stuff. I love comedy - movies and stand up comedy - and I like to watch stuff like that. And I read as well.

Sophie, 14, Maidstone
    If you weren't a singer what would your job be now?

Kym Marsh: If I wasn't a singer I would probably be doing makeup because when I auditioned for Popstars, two weeks prior to that, I'd just enrolled in college to do beauty because I'd decided that that was my last year of trying because I was 24 and 24 in the music business is not really young because they're all coming in at like 16 and 15 and you're considered old at 24. So I thought well this is my last year and if nothing happens then I'm going to be a makeup artist and lucky for me it all worked out fine.

• More InfoBORDER=0
    PicturesKym and Jack's wedding pix
    PicturesGuide to Hear'Say
    ChatChat about pop

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
    Kym's solo single storms the charts
    I'm in control, says solo star Kym
    Kym and Jack tie the knot

BORDER=0

Web Links
    BORDER=0
    Kym Marsh
    Note: You will leave CBBC. We are not responsible for other websites.

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
    Also in Hotseat now:
    In the Hotseat: Laura
    Astronaut Michael Foale in the hotseat!
    Interactive bullying special
    Our webchat with Rings actor Andy Serkis Gollum answers YOUR questions
    Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
    Harry Potter Your guide to Harry Potter
    © BBC Back to top^^
    Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
    Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club