Find Out
 The Team

Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Potter stars
Updated 29 November 2002, 11.19
Potter webchat
Four stars from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets answered your questions in an exclusive webchat!

Lizo gave a good grilling to:

• Tom Felton - Draco Malfoy
  • Shirley Henderson - Moaning Myrtle
  • Christian Coulson - Tom Riddle
  • Bonnie Wright - Ginny Weasley

Scroll down for the full transcript - or watch it in video by clicking on the link below.

Watch webchatWatch video webchat

Christian Coulson and Bonnie Wright

Click on the questions to find out what Christian and Bonnie had to say

• How exactly did you get the part of Ginny and are you anything like Ginny?
  • How did you get into the character of Tom Riddle and his other side and is he anything like you?
  • Who's your favourite Weasley brother?
  • Who do you think is going to die in the next Harry Potter book - book 5?
  • What it's like playing somebody as charismatic as Tom Riddle?
  • I totally loved you in the Chamber of Secrets are you single?
  • Bonnie, do you ever forget your lines?
  • Christian, if you had the choice of being in any Hogwarts House which one would you be in?
  • Was it hard playing a character who was much younger than you?
  • What was the most memorable experience you had while filming the movie?
  • What kind of music do you all like?
  • I'd like to know about any pranks or laughs on the set.
  • What kind of older brother do you think Rupert Grint would make in real life?
  • Have you managed to keep anything from the set?
  • Do you want to act professionally when you're older or if not what do you want to do?
  • Christian, what kind of books are you reading at the moment?

Amethyst, 13, USA
    How exactly did you get the part of Ginny and are you anything like Ginny?

Bonnie Wright: Well I heard they were doing auditions for Harry Potter and my brother had read the books before I started and he said: "Oh I think you're really like Ginny, so why don't you go for the part?" I said: "Okay, well how do I do that?"
    And then my mum rang up the publishers and then she got to know the number and then they asked me to come along for an audition, with just the casting director and then they asked me again with Chris Columbus and everyone. And then a while after I got the part, which was quite odd.

Lizo: And Christian how did you get to hear about it and eventually land the prize role of Tom Riddle?

Christian Coulson: Well my agent told me he'd set up the audition and I went in and they told me I was the second person that they saw for the part.
    And then over six months they saw about 2,000 other people, because I'm around the same age and casting and I had to go in three or four times to audition again with the director and then do a screen test and then try on costumes - to see how I would look kind of with hair done the way they wanted it and so on.
    And then eventually, just before Christmas, they told me that I could play the role.

Victoria, 15, Basingstoke
    How did you get into the character of Tom Riddle and his other side and is he anything like you?

Christian Coulson: Well there's lots of bits of me in there I think but I don't behave like that all the time. And I guess it's such a serious part in many ways and cold.
    He doesn't seem to enjoy anything, so a lot of it came from the way I behave when I'm miserable or angry or whatever. So I guess that's kind of where I started from in order to put the characters together.

Chris Rankin, 19, Dereham
    Who's your favourite Weasley brother?

Bonnie Wright: I liked all of them equally.

Lizo: Did you like any of them more than each other who happened to have been played by Chris Rankin?

Bonnie Wright: I wouldn't say I had a favourite - they were all equally as nice.

Lizo: Was there any kind of procedure you went through to get into character as Tom Riddle?

Christian Coulson: I listened to quite a lot of quite serious heavy music - I listened to a lot of trash metal and rap around the time we were filming.

Lizo: So you think Tom Riddle's into rap?

Christian Coulson: No I don't think he is but that sort of anger about stuff was useful. I find listening to music really good for all sorts of parts, I normally kind of narrow in on a certain sort of music I'm going to listen to while filming something so that was what I did for that.

Emma, 8, Holland
    Who do you think is going to die in the next Harry Potter book - book 5?

Bonnie Wright: I've absolutely no idea. I hope it's someone evil. I don't know anyone that will definitely die.

Lizo: How would you feel if it turned out to be Ginny?

Bonnie Wright: Gutted. Of course because I play her I'd be annoyed and I suppose a few other people would be.

Molly, 10, London
    What it's like playing somebody as charismatic as Tom Riddle?

Christian Coulson: I don't know what the answer to that is because you can't really make the decision to be charismatic or not, I guess if that's the way it comes across then that's what I was doing in the audition.
    If you kind of start trying to do those things and it goes wrong you look like an idiot.

Elise, 16, Los Angeles
    I totally loved you in the Chamber of Secrets are you single?

Christian Coulson: Yes I am.

Poppy, Hove
    Bonnie, do you ever forget your lines?

Bonnie Wright: Well because I've practised them so much they kind of slip out because I know them too well, in some ways. But sometimes I did kind of slip on a few words but it was fine because everyone does I suppose.

Liz, Manchester
    Christian, if you had the choice of being in any Hogwarts House which one would you be in?

Christian Coulson: Either Gryffindor or Slytherin but I don't know what decision I'd make.

Lizo: If you had to choose one of them?

Christian Coulson: Well I'm probably going to have to say Gryffindor because I don't want to be evil.

Elizabeth, 14, USA
    Was it hard playing a character who was much younger than you?

Christian Coulson: No because a lot of the work to make me look young is kind of makeup and hair and then because he's been around for 50 years it actually makes sense that it would have a slightly kind of older feel to it.
    I really like that about it as well - the idea that behind the eyes there's someone kind of much older and more developed.

Jane, 15, Philippines
    What was the most memorable experience you had while filming the movie? I think you were both really great in it.

Bonnie Wright: Working with everyone was really fun but I think overall there's always something fun about every scene but I couldn't really pick on one scene, I think everything was just great.

Christian Coulson: Getting to work with Richard Harris was fantastic - I mean I've always thought he was amazing so that was great.

Lucy, 11, Manchester
    What kind of music do you all like?

Bonnie Wright: I'm into kind of hip hop that kind of area. I like Destiny's Child.

Christian Coulson: I listen to all sorts. At the moment I'm listening to Ms Dynamite a lot and Cold Play - I guess they're really different. But I just listen to whatever but not Will or Gareth I'm sorry to say.

Sarah, 14, USA
    I'd like to know about any pranks or laughs on the set.

Christian Coulson: No, none. It was all very serious. There were pranks on the set but I never got any - Daniel played jokes on people but he never played any on me.

Joya, 15, USA
    What kind of older brother do you think Rupert Grint would make in real life?

Bonnie Wright: I think he is a great brother. I have got a brother too but he's older than Rupert but I mean overall I think he's a good brother. Nice one, not mean.

Raven, 15
    Have you managed to keep anything from the set?

Christian Coulson: No, I had a prefect's badge that I really wanted and all the stuff goes out to museums around the world so you can't really steal it because that would be wrong. So no I didn't.

Bonnie Wright: Quite a lot is in storage but of course the diary's quite odd because there's so many of them. But I mean everything - all the props and everything were great.

Jenny, 15, Bristol
    Do you want to act professionally when you're older or if not what do you want to do?

Bonnie Wright: I wouldn't like to do it too much but I would like to do a bit but I would like to travel to some places when I'm older. When I was much younger before I did Harry Potter I didn't really think that I was going to do that when I was older.

Copak, 15, San Francisco
    Christian, what kind of books are you reading at the moment?

Christian Coulson: I'm reading The Little Friend, at the moment, by Donna Tart, which is her new novel.

Lizo: Were you both big Harry Potter fans before you got the parts?

Bonnie Wright: Well I had read a few books but I wasn't as much as I probably am today.

Christian Coulson: I read them for the auditions, I'd been kind of putting them off and then I loved them, so I became a fan.

Shirley Henderson and Tom Felton

Click on the questions to find out what Tom and Shirley had to say

• Do you have any kind of really memorable moments from making this film?
  • Is your voice normally like that - sort of weak and shy and small - did you have to really work on that?
  • What do you think of your new-found popularity, especially amongst girls? Have you seen any of the fan sites on the internet dedicated to you?
  • What was it like playing someone who's dead?
  • I've heard you can sing - have you ever thought of going into the music industry?
  • Did you use anyone for inspiration for your voice and was Moaning Myrtle based in any sense on anyone you know?
  • Have you managed to keep anything from the set of the film?
  • Were there any good pranks on set?
  • What kind of special effects did they use for Moaning Myrtle?
  • How much gel does Tom have to put on his hair to get that flat plastered look?
  • Have you got any tips for people who want to get into the movies?

Jane, 15, Philippines
    Do you have any kind of really memorable moments from making this film?

Shirley Henderson: All of it really, I mean just being thrown through the air for me was just the most amazing feeling - being strapped up and kind of a sense of freedom, that was wonderful.

Tom Felton: Mine's probably about the same as hers but I've got a broom instead, so that was a bit of assistance. That is madness when you see yourself flying through the air on a broomstick, you think how the hell did I do that?

Millie, 10 Buntingford
    Is your voice normally like that - sort of weak and shy and small - did you have to really work on that?

Shirley Henderson: It's just the kind of voice that I imagined when I read the book and went in for the audition, that's kind of what came out. I didn't know what I was going to do until I got in there and that's kind of how it came.
    Obviously later once I got the job I worked at it and kind of tried to remember what I did because Chris kept saying - Remember what you did in the interview. And I was saying - What did I really do in the interview? Because you just go in and do an interview. But then I found it again, so I worked a little bit on it yeah.

Felicia, 14, Singapore
    What do you think of your new-found popularity, especially amongst girls? Have you seen any of the fan sites on the internet dedicated to you?

Tom Felton:I can't say I have, I'll have to look into that. I never get to meet any of the people so it's not really as big as I would have hoped really.
    But it's mad when you go out to a premier, places like that, the people are unbelievable - they're really into the film and do anything for you to come over and talk to them - it's madness.

Lizo: Do you not think of yourself as a bit of a heartthrob?

Tom Felton: Well I'd rather not say but no, not really, just Tom.

Nathan, 10, Tiverton
    What was it like playing someone who's dead?

Shirley Henderson: You don't really think about that when you're doing it, you just get her emotions really. You can't worry about that because who knows what it's like to be dead?
    You can't worry about that, that's really for the visual guys to make me look a bit odd and see through. But I suppose because I'm older than Moaning Myrtle I can get away with being older and I thought well she's dead so that's okay and she's 50 years dead so you can play around with that a little bit.

Lizo: Did it worry you having to play somebody so young?

Shirley Henderson: No because I think she's kind of got an old head, she's got all the adult emotions - she's going through everything. So I didn't worry about it.
    I mean obviously when I went for the interview I thought it was a bit crazy, I'm not 15 but they obviously liked me, so that's okay because she is dead and she's slightly see through and you're not going to come right into my face to see that I'm not really that age.

Samantha, 13, Singapore
    I've heard you can sing - have you ever thought of going into the music industry?

Tom Felton: Definitely not - I don't sing and I'm not going to release a single, nothing like that. I'm afraid I do not sing.

Lizo: You've never sung in choirs?

Tom Felton: I was very, very young, very young.

Stacey, 15, Portsmouth
    How did you get on with Dan Radcliffe, who of course plays Harry, do you get on really well with him or are you enemies off screen?

Tom Felton: We hate each other - no we're friends really because we're on camera about half an hour a day, of course all the other times we're off, so more time being friends than enemies.
    But when it comes to the cameras rolling I hate him and I show my anger.

Laura, 13, Wales
    Did you use anyone for inspiration for your voice and was Moaning Myrtle based in any sense on anyone you know?

Shirley Henderson: Nobody at all, it came from the book, not at all, just my imagination.

Lizo: And had you read the books before you got the part?

Shirley Henderson: I hadn't read them before I got the audition, I read the second one for the audition and then I read the first one and after I'd read the second I liked it so much and then I read them all.

Lizo: And what kind of character did you see Myrtle as - did you kind of really try and get inside her head?

Shirley Henderson: She likes Harry a little bit, she's kind of in the moment - she doesn't plan what she's going to do or how she's going to react, she just reacts at that moment to what's thrown at her.
    She doesn't like Hermione, she doesn't particularly like Ron but she quite fancies Harry. Chris wanted me to - even though it's kind of see through and it's a ghost - he wanted me to be as truthful with the emotions as I could possibly be, so I really had to cry all the time to get that kind of watery sound in the back of the voice, that kind of crusty sound, kind of a weary sound I was trying to get from her.

Lizo: There's been a lot of speculation on the internet earlier about your uniform and what house Myrtle was in when she was at Hogwarts - I've been trying to look at it but I couldn't quite see.

Shirley Henderson: I can't remember what it is.

Tom Felton: I'm sure it was Ravenclaw.

Raven, 15
    Have you managed to keep anything from the set of the film?

Tom Felton: I managed to get one thing - my Slytherin tie - that's from the first one, not the second one. I asked them if I could have that and they of course had loads of them because of the extras and they said yeah.

Lizo: Do you wear it to school?

Tom Felton: I don't as such - Mufti day's coming up, so I'll wear it for that.

Sarah, 14, USA
    Were there any good pranks on set?

Shirley Henderson: Well I was just myself, so I was the one that was kind of having a carry on just all by myself - being hoisted up but I wasn't really with anybody.

Tom Felton: So many, that I couldn't tell you any really - every five minutes there was something - there was always something going on, there was always a thing with eyelines - offset eyelines - people always stick up little posters of people or whatever, like Cameron Diaz and it was with different girls every week and all sorts of funny faces or whatever.

James, 11, Scotland
    What kind of special effects did they use for Moaning Myrtle?

Shirley Henderson: I don't really know. Nick, the video effects guy, he was there. It's kind of high precision stuff, I don't really know how they do it. They sort of film it through computers as well and then he did his stuff later on. I don't know how they did the see through stuff.

Lizo: What was it like actually seeing all the bits that you did just by yourself - even without any other actors around - and then finally seeing it on screen - what was your reaction?

Shirley Henderson: I was thrilled because I'd seen little bits when they'd show the tape back when they're trying to get you to do it - it was always very awkward and cumbersome and all I could see were crosses everywhere on the screen and I'd say - How on earth are you going to tie this up? But it was beautiful the way they did it and when I saw the premier I was thrilled.

Johannah, 13, London
    How much gel does Tom have to put on his hair to get that flat plastered look?

Tom Felton: Yes I'm glad someone's finally asked that. My head's been plastered with the stuff - I use a pot a day, half in the morning just to get it all waxed up and of course by the time you walk around it sort of just breaks off and they slab on another ton of the stuff. Awful really.

Katherine, 14, USA
    Have you got any tips for people who want to get into the movies?

Tom Felton: It's one of those things that the more I sort of tried to do it, the more I went on interviews, the more I tried to get the part the less - if I just relaxed and made them laugh and just sort of treated them like normal that seemed to do the trick. If you're desperate to get it you're never going to achieve it.

• More InfoBORDER=0
    PicturesPix: behind the scenes at the webchat
    Find OutMEGA Potter section!
    ChatPotter chat
    VoteWho is the most fanciable Potter boy?
    ClubThe Golden Snitch Awards 2002

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
    Also in Hotseat now:
    In the Hotseat: Laura
    Astronaut Michael Foale in the hotseat!
    Interactive bullying special
    Harry Potter
    Full section
    Harry Potter Your guide to Harry Potter
    Tim Henman Vote for your fave sports star
    © BBC Back to top^^
    Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
    Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club