Contact Us
Help
Teachers

Holly Valance
Updated 30 April 2002, 16.42
Holly Valance
By Laura Holmes
CBBC Newsround Online

Holly Valance has been very busy promoting her first UK single Kiss Kiss.

But she took time out from her schedule to speak exclusively with CBBC Newsround Online.

NR: What's the main difference about being a soap star and a pop star?

Holly: Being a popstar is much more fun! It's what I've always wanted to do.

I did enjoy acting and being on Neighbours but singing is where my heart's always been. I'm so lucky, not many people get up in the morning knowing that they are going to work to do the thing they love.

NR: Why did you choose the song Kiss Kiss?

Holly: My record company suggested it and I thought it sounded really fun. We re-wrote the lyrics and made it more funky as the song is about four years old. It was a fun song to work on, something different, not your average pop song.

Holly speaking to Newsround Online
I really enjoyed making the video also. I wanted to make a raunchy video so that I would not be thought of as Flick from Neighbours. I really want to get away from that image.

I think it's working too, people are looking at me differently, they're not seeing me as the girl from the soap.

NR: Will you be disappointed if your single doesn't go to number one?

Holly: Not at all, we're hoping for the best, I've worked really hard, that's all I can do. If it doesn't go to number one then that's the way it's meant to be.

NR: When is your album out and what kind of music will be on it?

Holly: It's going to have a whole variety of stuff, some rock songs, some R'n'B and just some good songs that aren't of a particular type. I don't want an album where everything sounds the same.

It should be out around September but we don't have a date yet because I'm still working on it.

NR: Do you plan to write your own songs in the future?

Holly: Yeah, there'll be three or four on this album that I will have written. I would love to write the whole album but I just don't have the time. That will probably come with the second album, but for this one I've been juggling two jobs for two years and haven't had the time to write much of my own stuff.

NR: Do you feel any pressure to live up to the success of other former Neighbours stars?

Holly: Not really, I'm going to give it my best shot, I'm going to be selfish and not think of anyone else but myself!

If I thought about how big Kylie is I'd be too scared to get up in the morning and do what I do. I'm just loving every minute and don't think about it, I'm just having too much fun.

NR: And finally, can you tell us how Flick will leave Neighbours?

Holly: I don't know how she'll leave. I find out when I get back in about a week. We only get our scripts three weeks beforehand so I'll know by August. But I hope that she doesn't get killed because I might need a job in about 12 months time!

More InfoBORDER=0
MusicHolly shakes off girl-next-door image
ClubReview Holly Valance's new single - Kiss Kiss

BORDER=0

Past StoriesBORDER=0
Holly shakes off girl-next-door image
Neighbours star sings into Your Charts
Neighbours' Flick set for sexy new image

BORDER=0

E-mail this page to a friend

Full Chat Section
Also in Hotseat now:
In the Hotseat: Laura
Astronaut Michael Foale in the hotseat!
Interactive bullying special
Our webchat with Rings actor Andy Serkis Gollum answers YOUR questions
Today's quickfire quiz How well do you know today's news?
Harry Potter Your guide to Harry Potter
© BBC Back to top^^
Homepage | UK | World | Sport | Music | TV/Film | Animals | Sci/Tech | Weather
Pictures | Find Out | The Team | Games | Chat | Vote | Win | Quiz | Club