Just like any other member of the family, pets can become ill or injured.
Here are the Red Cross' top tips on how to deal with an injured pet:
- Always approach a sick or injured animal slowly so you don't frighten them
- Watch the body language, facial expressions and sounds of your pet closely - even your own pet can be aggressive if in pain or scared
- Don't make quick or loud movements - they might scare your pet more
- Keep the phone number and address of your vet somewhere you can find it easily
- Also keep a number and directions of an after-hours vet
- If you decide to take your pet to the vet, try and phone them ahead to let them know you're on your way