Home Office Research Development Statistics
For full report, see http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb702.pdf
The figures are based on recorded crimes only. These include incidents reported by victims, or witnessed by the police.
The regional crime figures featured are only broken down into the categories listed below:
- Violence against the person - includes murder, manslaughter, attempted murder, causing death by dangerous driving, possession of weapons, child abduction, and common assault.
- Sexual offences - 14 separate offences including rape, attempted rape and indecent assault.
- Robbery offences - includes any offence in which force or threat of force is used either during or immediately prior to a theft or attempted theft.
- Burglary dwelling offences - where a person enters a dwelling as a trespasser and with the intent to commit an offence of theft or unlawful damage.
- Theft of motor vehicle - includes theft of a vehicle and aggravated vehicle taking.
- Theft from a motor vehicle - includes incidents where there is evidence of intent to commit theft from a vehicle.
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites