Crime figures for the Londonderry area are recorded within the Police District Command Unit of Foyle.
The crime figures are based on recorded crimes only. These include incidents reported by victims, or witnessed by the police.
The population figures are based on mid-year population estimates for 2000.
The regional crime figures featured are only broken down into the categories listed below:
- Offences against the person - includes murder, manslaughter, attempted murder, causing death by reckless driving, grievous bodily harm, and common assault.
- Sexual offences - includes rape, attempted rape, and indecent assault.
- Burglary - includes burglaries from homes and other buildings and going equipped for stealing.
- Robbery - includes robbery, armed robbery and hijacking.
- Theft - includes handling stolen goods, theft by an employee, theft from motor vehicles, and theft of motor vehicles.
- Criminal damage - includes arson, malicious damage offences, and threats/intent to damage property or endanger life.
- Offences against the state - includes offences under anti-terrorist legislation in the the Northern Ireland (Emergency Provisions) Act, firearms offences, and public order offences.
- Other notifiable offences - includes fraud and forgery, blackmail, drug offences, and dangerous driving.
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites