In pictures: Manchester Cathedral
On the edge

The cathedral stands high on the banks of the River Irwell at the north end of central Manchester.

During the middle ages it was a "collegiate church" under a Warden and Fellows, at the centre of a very large parish.

It became a cathedral in 1847.

Its diocese, formerly part of that of Chester, has some 2.8m inhabitants.

Click below for more images
BACK
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9