More than 100 people attended at Bodelwyddan to voice their concerns on plans which could lead to the Denbighshire village tripling in size.
Under the council's local development plan, up to 2,000 extra homes could be built there.
But opponents to the scheme want the development on a smaller scale claiming the scheme Is "unsustainable".
The proposals could also see a new primary school, care home and new access from the A55 put in place.
The public meeting was held at Bodelwyddan Community Centre on Wednesday night after a consultation started last month.
Council officer Iwan Prys Jones said: "If we fail to provide an adequate supply of homes one of the consequences is that the housing stock will continue to become more expensive and will continue to become less affordable from the point of view of people who live within the county.
"As ever there's a balance to be drawn I think between the nature of new development and making sure that we're providing acceptable and suitable homes for people who live in Denbighshire."
However, the Bodelwyddan Development Action Group is against the plans and has held a series of public meetings in recent months.
Its founder, Alice Jones, has said the proposals include building 1,715 new houses, and that the current population of about 1,000 could rise to 6,000 over 12 years.
The group has called for development on a smaller scale, "in smaller stages, so that people can integrate into communities".
It says public services in the area are already struggling, and the main A55 road would not meet the demands of extra traffic.
According to the 2001 Census, Bodelwyddan had 895 homes.