BBC Home > BBC News > Northern Ireland

Government 'must show bomb files'

10 July 08 15:40 GMT

The Irish parliament has passed an all-party motion calling on the British government to release security files on the Dublin and Monaghan bombings.

The UVF is suspected of carrying out the attacks which killed 33 people in May 1974.

The all-party motion asked the government to release the files to an independent international judge.

The motion arose out of parliamentary debates on security forces collusion held in the Dail earlier this year.

The Justice for the Forgotten group, which represents the victims of the bombings, asked the government to act promptly on the motion.

"This is a very significant move and it carries considerable weight," spokeswoman Margaret Unwin said.

"It has the support of the three (Irish) government parties as well as opposition parties.

"Justice for the Forgotten is calling for speedy progress on this matter from the British government."

The Dail is also forwarding for the consideration of the House of Commons boxes of reports compiled over several years by an all-party committee and by Justice Henry Barron.

Labour TD Joe Costello, who helped table the motion, said he regretted there was no time for a debate on the issue as the Dail was adjourning for its summer recess.

However, Tanaiste Mary Coughlan, who was representing the taoiseach in the chamber, said a debate may be accommodated in the autumn.

No-one has ever been convicted of the attacks on 17 May 1974, which injured more than 250. It was the biggest loss of life on a single day in the Troubles.

A 2003 report by Mr Justice Henry Barron said there were grounds for suspecting the bombers may have had help from members of the British security forces, but there was no conclusive proof.

Related BBC sites

*