BBC Home > BBC News > England

In-laws discharged after Wokingham carbon monoxide leak

20 February 10 16:37 GMT

The mother and father-in-law of a woman who died after a carbon monoxide leak at her home have been discharged from hospital after also breathing in fumes.

Katie Haines, 31, was discovered by her husband Richard, along with his parents Gordon and Jackie, inside their home in Wokingham, Berkshire.

His parents have now been released from Royal Berkshire Hospital following the tragedy on Thursday.

A post-mortem examination found Katie died of carbon monoxide intoxication.

Thames Valley Police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are working together as part of the investigation to establish how the tragedy happened.

Mr Haines tried to resuscitate his unconscious wife, who was a press officer for Oxford University, when he arrived home from work and made the discovery.

The couple, who married in December, were described by Mrs Haines's parents as "the perfect couple".

Mrs Haines was a former journalist for the Sunday Times and the Daily Express newspapers, and graduated from Manchester University with a degree in English and French.

Related BBC sites