BBC Home > BBC News > England

No prosecutions over coach crash near Alton Towers

10 March 10 10:22 GMT

The Crown Prosecution Service has said there is insufficient evidence to prosecute over a fatal crash near Alton Towers theme park in Staffordshire.

Piotr Wolski, 26, was killed and 71 people injured when a coach hit two cars and rolled down an embankment.

Four people were seriously hurt, including the 62-year-old coach driver from Peterborough.

The coach had been carrying farm workers from Northamptonshire when the crash happened in August 2008.

They were mainly migrant workers from eastern Europe, based at Lutton Farm in Oundle, who had been on a day trip to Alton Towers.

Insp Neil Sherratt of Staffordshire Police said the inquiry that followed was "painstaking".

"The coach's driver, who was also injured in the collision, was interviewed along with all 69 surviving passengers and the owners of the coach company in Cambridgeshire," he said.

"A comprehensive file was sent to the Crown Prosecution Service who have decided there is insufficient evidence to prosecute anyone in relation to the crash and the death of Mr Wolski."

All evidence will now be passed to a coroner for an inquest, he added.

Mr Wolski, from Poland, had been living at the farm with the other workers.

Related BBC sites

*