BBC Home > BBC News > Entertainment

R&B star Brown 'still in shock'

1 September 09 08:34 GMT

R&B star Chris Brown, who pleaded guilty to assaulting ex-girlfriend and pop star Rihanna, has said he is still in shock over his actions.

In an interview with Larry King, the singer said: "When I look at it now, it's just like, wow, I can't believe that actually happened."

The 20-year-old also told People magazine he still loved the pop star.

Last week Brown was sentenced to five years probation and 180 days community service for the assault in February.

However, the singer released a statement on Monday clarifying reports that a 30-second clip of the interview published on CNN's website in which he appeared to tell King he did not remember the incident, was "not representative of what I said".

'Totally shocked'

"That 30 seconds of the interview they used of me was taken from a one hour interview during which that same question was asked something like four or five times," Brown said, adding it was out of context when not looked at with the entire interview.

"Of course I remember what happened. Several times during the interview, my mother said that I came to her right afterwards and told her everything. But it was and still is a blur."

Sitting with her son in the interview, Joyce Hawkins said she was "totally shocked" over Brown's actions, saying: "I know that Chris has never, ever been a violent person."

The interview with Larry King is due to be screened on Wednesday in the US.

Meanwhile, in the interview with People, Brown said he "never fell out of love" with Rihanna and was "distraught" following the incident and broke down after telling his mother what had happened.

Ms Hawkins told the magazine that Brown's confession was "the most painful moment of my life".

The singer pleaded guilty in June to attacking Rihanna before the Grammy awards in Los Angeles.

Related BBC sites

*