BBC Home > BBC News > Entertainment

New Order at war after 'break-up'

31 July 07 12:03 GMT

Former New Order bassist Peter Hook has threatened to sue his ex-bandmates after they decided to keep the group going without him.

Writing on MySpace, Hook said: "This group has split up. You are no more New Order than I am... see you in court."

Hook said in May the band had broken up. But Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris recently said the group had not split and they would carry on.

New Order released their last album, Waiting For The Sirens' Call, in 2005.

Writing his blog, Hook said: "You may have two thirds, but don't assume you have the rights to do anything New Ordery 'cos you don't. I've still got a third!"

"But [I] am open to negotiation," he added.

Sumner and Morris, who announced their decision to continue as New Order last week, said Hook had not approached them personally about the decision to end the band.

Hook replied: "Just in case you hadn't noticed, we've not had a personal relationship for a long time now... years in fact!

"Whenever you contact me, it's through the management. I did exactly the same. You all knew what was happening re the split in February."

Sumner and Morris have declined to comment on the development.

New Order, known for their hits including Blue Monday and Regret, were formed by the members of Joy Division after the suicide of lead singer Ian Curtis in 1980.

Related BBC sites

*