Page last updated at 17:56 GMT, Wednesday, 3 December 2008

Baby television death accidental

Ghazi Riyaz Mohammed
The coroner ruled Ghazi Riyaz Mohammed's death was accidental

A coroner has warned of the dangers of heavy objects on light furniture after a toddler was killed by a falling TV.

Riyaz Ghaazi Mohamed, 13 months, of Penlan, Swansea, pulled over a television weighing 33kg (73lb) as he used a chest of drawers to stand.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, coroner Philip Rogers said it was a "tragic case".

He said the toddler was well looked after and his parents could not have anticipated what happened in July.

The inquest in Swansea was told that despite being taken to hospital and undergoing six hours of emergency brain surgery the boy died later the same day.

Mr Rogers said: "I would urge parents of young children to check the stability of furniture in their home, especially when heavy objects are placed on lightweight furniture, because this is a tragedy which could easily happen again."

Det Con Nicholas Salter told the inquest that the tragedy had happened in the ground floor flat where the boy's father Fowzer and mother Shara Mohamed lived with their three children, two boys and a girl.

The couple were originally from Sri Lanka and had been seeking asylum in the UK since 2006.

It was a very heavy television
Stewart Ladd, crime scene investigator

The child was known by his middle name of Ghaazi.

Mrs Mohamed, 32, was at home with the two boys when the accident happened.

Mr Salter said that she had told police in a statement afterwards that she had stepped into the kitchen for less than a minute to get Ghaazi a drink of water.

He said that while in the kitchen she heard a bang.

"She ran to the living room and saw the television set lying screen down on top of her son."

The chest of drawers on which the television had been standing had also toppled over and the contents of the drawers were strewn around the child.

Skull fracture

Crime scene investigator Stewart Ladd explained that the TV set had been placed on a lightweight chest of drawers.

"It was a very heavy television," he said.

He explained that the two lower drawers of the piece of furniture had been filled with books, videos and DVDs. The top drawer was empty.

Reconstruction of the tragedy showed that when the two full drawers were opened the piece of furniture became "very unstable".

The inquest heard that the accident had resulted in the child suffering a significant and complex skull fracture.

Death was caused by the injury to his head.

Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific