Page last updated at 11:19 GMT, Tuesday, 24 June 2008 12:19 UK

Teenager's 'explosion of anger'

Kelly Hyde and Scrappy
Kelly Hyde suffered violence which was 'gross in the extreme'

A woman walking her dog was allegedly beaten to death by a teenager she had never met before in an "explosion of anger and terrible violence".

A jury was told Kelly Hyde, 24, suffered "terrible injuries" to her head, inflicted by a bar bell from a set of weights.

Her body was found face down in a stream off a bridle path near Ammanford, Carmarthenshire.

The youth, 17, who cannot be named, denies murder at Swansea Crown Court.

Opening the prosecution, Patrick Harrington QC said Ms Hyde, a barmaid, was walking her whippet dog Scrappy home after dropping off her car for a MOT on 27 September 2007.

As she made her way along the bridle path she was accosted by the defendant.

"Precisely what happened next is only known to him," said Mr Harrington.

"The violence he used was gross in the extreme.

Police sealed off a bridle path near Ammanford, Carmarthenshire

"The majority of the attack was directed to her head.

"He acted in a dreadful and brutal fashion - it was an explosion of anger and terrible violence."

Mr Harrington said during the trial a witness would place the youth "close in distance and close in time" to the murder.

Kelly Hyde's blood DNA was found on a number of his clothes, including his trainers.

The murder weapon was found close to the scene, Mr Harrington said. The other bar bell was found in his bedroom.

"The dog lead, which was undoubtedly Scrappy's with the deceased's DNA and blood was found in the attic of the defendant's home," he said.

Mr Harrington said Ms Hyde had left the garage around 0915. He said a number of witnesses came forward to describe the route she took home following a large police appeal when it was initially being treated as a missing person's case.

Many of the blows were very hard, they did terrible damage to her head
Patrick Harrington QC

He said the prosecution case was based on the available evidence. Mr Harrington said there were no eye witnesses to Ms Hyde's death.

It was possible, he said, that there was not just a "single display of violence" and there was "reason to suppose the death was not immediate at first attack".

"The attack itself was brutal and sustained. Many of the blows were very hard, they did terrible damage to her head."

Having killed Ms Hyde, the defendant dragged her body down an embankment, the jury was told.

He placed her face down in a stream "obviously hoping that moving water might conceal or remove any forensic clues."


Having committed the crime, the youth left the scene "but bearing in mind what he had just done he was remarkably calm."

Mr Harrington said: "There does not seem to have been any overt sexual motive."

He told the jury it was the prosecution case that the motive was a complete loss of temper.

Her body was found by a police search dog three days after her disappearance.

Two days later, police conducted a dawn raid on the defendant's home.

When woken by a detective and told what it was about, he replied "Murder? You've got to be joking."

The jury was told that Ms Hyde was born in London and in 1983 she and her parents, Andrew and Barbara and their other children moved to Llanelli.

She left school at 16 and had jobs working for Leekes department store at Cross Hands, a riding stables, a hairdressers and at a Wetherspoon's pub in Llanelli.

"She excelled at art and had a wide range of other interests, including horse riding," said Mr Harrington.

The trial continues.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific