[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
Launch consoleBBC News in video and audio
Last Updated: Tuesday, 15 May 2007, 05:55 GMT 06:55 UK
Objectors delay 50m development
Artist's impression of St Catherine's Walk
Work on the former mart site was due to start this summer
The 50m redevelopment of Carmarthen's town centre has been delayed once again - this time by around 30 objections to the closure of an access lane.

The scheme, which includes a cinema, department store and 24 shops, bars and restaurants, was due to start shortly.

But people have objected to the closure of Fair Lane, forcing a public inquiry.

Developers described the latest hold-up as a "great pity" while objectors list traffic issues and congestion as matters of concern.

Plans to redevelop the former mart site in the centre of town date back more than five years.

Initially objectors focused on plans to demolish the indoor market but developers agreed a new one would be included in the scheme.

Plans to close St Catherine's Street - a main road through the town - provoked further protest forcing Carmarthenshire Council and the developers Simons to redesign the scheme to keep it open.

New delay

The council's head of regeneration Dave Gilbert said he was "not surprised" by the latest delay.

He said: "Some objections have even come from people who are from the outside the town of Carmarthen - it is difficult to see how the closure of this lane adversely affects them.

"The lane is not a thoroughfare and all the business along Fair Lane that currently use it for access will be re-locating."

Giles Walter of Simons said work had been due to start within weeks but would now be delayed until at least the autumn.

"As there were a number of objections to the closure, a local inquiry will be held - this is standard practice in any application for road closures where there are objections," he said.


SEE ALSO
Town road closure plan abandoned
18 Oct 06 |  South West Wales
Council backs town's 50m revamp
04 May 06 |  South West Wales
Deal signed for 50m town scheme
11 May 05 |  South West Wales
Seventh plan for market move
09 Mar 04 |  South West Wales
Department store for mart site
15 Sep 03 |  South West Wales

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific