Shaun Jones, 14, was described by his coach as an awesome rugby player
A 14-year-old boy has died after taking for the first time a medical treatment for acne prescribed by his doctor.
Shaun Jones, of Rhydyfelin, Pontypridd, died after suffering a suspected allergic reaction to the tablets.
The promising rugby player developed breathing difficulties and collapsed after taking the pills.
His family said his death had left a "great hole" in the lives and have declined to name the acne treatment until medical tests are completed.
Acne medication does warn of the dangers of potential allergic respiratory tract and skin reactions, but deaths are described as very rare.
An inquest has been adjourned to await further investigations into his death, which happened on 21 October.
His father Graeme Jones said: "It is unbelievable. He was a strong, fit lad and was loved by everyone.
"He was popular with the girls and had a couple of spots, so the doctor gave him some antibiotic acne tablets. A lot of his friends are taking them.
"It was the first time he'd taken them and he developed breathing difficulties.
"We called 999 and he went to hospital - but it was too late. The doctors couldn't save him.
"The doctor that gave him the tablets is really upset, but we don't blame him. It was just one of those terrible things.
"We're still coming to terms with losing him. One minute he was here and now he's gone.
"Shaun's little sister is devastated. She can't bear to leave our sides because she thinks something will happen to us too."
Shaun played for his village rugby team, Rhydyfelin RFC, and the Pontypridd schools team and won the most improved player in the latest club awards.
'Dedicated and talented'
"He was one of those boys that didn't stop," said his father. "He'd come back from rugby training then race out again to be with his mates. He had so much energy.
Rhydyfelin coach Dai Watkins said: "He was an awesome player whose name was first on the teamsheet.
"The fact that he was so so fit and strong makes it all the harder to take. He was so dedicated and talented."
Shaun's funeral will be held on Thursday, where friends and team-mates have been asked to wear colourful rugby or sports shirts to celebrate his life.
Classmates at Hawthorn High School in Pontypridd, where Shaun was a pupil, have been offered counselling.
A spokesman for Rhondda Cynon Taff Local Health Board said: "We cannot comment on individual cases."