A businessman who emigrated to Thailand has died in hospital in Wales after being stung by a scorpion while abroad.
Gareth Pike tried to suck out the scorpion's poison
Father-of-three Gareth Pike, 56, from Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan, claimed he was abandoned in the jungle by his wife's relatives.
He died on Friday in Llandough Hospital, Cardiff, after his sister paid for him to return home in May.
In an interview with a local paper before he died, Mr Pike said he moved to Thailand after meeting a woman.
From his hospital bed, he told the South Wales Echo that he had gone to Thailand after meeting a Thai woman. He settled there and later got married.
They moved to her home village but the marriage faltered and she left him. Mr Pike said her relatives then forced him out of the home he had built to live in a shack in the jungle.
It was after this that he said he was stung by a scorpion.
He said: "I got up one day and went to put my shorts on. They had been lying on the floor because I had nowhere to hang them.
"I felt a sharp pain. Something had stung me on the thumb. Then I saw a black scorpion run along the ground.
"I managed to kill it with my shoe and tried to suck the poison out of my thumb but I was too late and the poison had gone through my body.
Mr Pike said he struggled to a village where he was put in touch with his sister, who arranged for him to return and have treatment.
Mr Pike's sister Pamela Roberts, who lives in the New Forest, said: "We're all so upset. He was so full of life. He loved dancing, having a laugh and golfing. He wanted to live, he didn't want to die. I love him to bits."