A landmark building which was a major part of the history of a south Wales valleys town is undergoing a £2.5m redevelopment.
The Winding House is the only building left of Elliot Colliery
The Elliot Colliery Winding House in New Tredegar in the Rhymney Valley is currently home to the town's museum.
It is the last remaining building of the town's colliery which closed in 1967 and still houses the pit's steam winding engine.
A grant has been secured to develop the museum facilities on offer at the site.
The winding house is the only building left from the pit, which was first sunk in 1883.
Improvements costing £2.5m will be made to the building
In 1888, work began to sink the east shaft. At its head, the East Winding House was built which housed a steam winding engine.
At its peak, nearly 3,000 people worked at the colliery producing more than a million tonnes of coal a year.
However, in 1967 the colliery closed with its buildings demolished and machinery scrapped - the winding house and the steam engine were the only things saved.
Since then, the building has been used as a museum charting the history, heritage and culture of the local area.
There are now plans in place to close the building until 2007 while it gets a £2.5m facelift.
The building has been turned into a museum
Plans include a fully-equipped resource library and activity room along with a café bar and museum shop located in a glazed atrium.
Caerphilly council cabinet member, Councillor Tudor Davies said: "This exciting new development will offer visitors of all ages state of the art facilities housed in an attractive new building.
"It is important that we preserve our history and heritage, especially in traditional mining communities such as New Tredegar - which is currently enjoying a major facelift thanks to this and a number of other ambitious regeneration projects taking place in the village at the moment."
Grant aid secured from Objective 1 funding, the Wales Tourist Board and the Welsh Assembly Government will be used to make the improvements.