[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 20 March, 2005, 11:28 GMT
Wales wakes to Grand Slam glory
Wales fans celebrating
Celebrations in Cardiff as Wales land the grand slam after 27 years
Wales has woken with foggy heads but happy hearts on Sunday to continue its celebrations of an historic Six Nations Grand Slam - 27 years since the last.

Saturday's 32-20 defeat of Ireland won them the Six Nations championship title and the Triple Crown.

Thousands of people partied well into the night right across Wales after the nation's rugby team made a clean sweep in the tournament.

Nine of Saturday's starting line-up had not been born by the 1978 Grand Slam.

A full house of 72,500 saw Wales beat Ireland at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, with at least as many watching from pubs and on a big screen nearby.

The omens for a win were good after two other Welsh teams won Six Nations-style Grand Slams on Friday night.

Wales' under-21s overcame Ireland's by 32 points to five, giving the team the Grand Slam title and boding well for the future of Welsh rugby.

Fans in Wood Street, Cardiff
City streets became a sea of fans, most of them wearing red
And the Welsh Fire Service team thrashed the Irish Fire Service team by 70 points to 12 at the Glamorgan Wanderers Memorial Ground in Cardiff.

One fan, who staked 2,000 on Wales to win the Grand Slam at odds of 33-1 would have been in for a windfall of 66,000 - if only he had not suffered cold feet at the last minute and staked 18,000 of his potential winnings on a Wales loss.

Bookies have already cut the odds of the Welsh team winning the rugby world cup from 40-1 to 12-1 following Saturday's historic triumph.

Rugby fans reported having to queue for entry to some bars as early as 1100 GMT on Saturday, as people picked out their vantage points in front of television screens for the biggest match at the Millennium Stadium since it was opened for the rugby world cup in 1999.

Another large crowd gathered to watch a big screen set up outside City Hall before the 1530 GMT kick off.

Singers Max Boyce, Katherine Jenkins and Charlotte Church led the singing of the Welsh anthem inside the stadium after the teams ran out onto the pitch.

After the match, two of the three Royal Welch Fusiliers who were awarded Military Crosses on Friday for bravery whilst serving in Iraq, were presented to the crowd.

The men - Sergeant Major Mark Evans, 39, from Rhyl, Fusilier David Evans, 25, from Swansea, and Sergeant Neil Griffiths, 30, from Pontypridd - had been invited to Wales' final match by the Welsh Rugby Union to celebrate their honours.

Only Sgt Major Evans was unable to attend. His place was taken by Sergeant Martin Gregory, 27, from Rhondda, who was mentioned in dispatches for his bravery in the same incident south of Basra.

Ruddock's silence is Best answer
17 Mar 05 |  Six Nations
Henson backs Wales for Slam win
18 Mar 05 |  Six Nations
Wales at full strength for Irish
16 Mar 05 |  Six Nations


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific