[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 12 June, 2003, 14:46 GMT 15:46 UK
No charges over fatal bus crash
Stuart Cunningham-Jones
Stuart Cunningham-Jones died in December last year
A bus crash in which a 12-year-old boy was killed will not lead to any criminal prosecutions, police have announced.

Stuart Cunningham-Jones died when a double-decker he was travelling home from school in careered off a narrow bridge and hit a tree in Ystradowen, south Wales, last December.

But South Wales Police say the Crown Prosecution Service has advised them that there will be no prosecutions related to the accident in the Vale of Glamorgan.

A file will be forwarded to the coroner ahead of an inquest into Stuart's death.

We will continue to campaign for a change in the law
Stuart's Campaign

Stuart, who was travelling on the top deck, was killed and 10 of the 75 other Cowbridge Comprehensive School pupils on the bus were injured.

The 92-seat bus, which was operated by a local company called EST, had not been fitted with seatbelts.

Relatives and friends of Stuart's family founded a pressure group called Stuart's Campaign to lobby for tighter school bus safety restrictions soon after the accident.

Following the police announcement on Thursday, a campaign spokesperson said: "We are naturally disappointed to hear that there is not enough clear evidence to allow this case to proceed in a criminal court.

bus crash
The double-decker bus left the road and hit a tree

"However, we have always said that the law governing these matters is complex and confused.

"A crime may not have been committed, but something went wrong on the Ystradowen bus on 3 December 2003.

"We believe that Stuart's death was avoidable, and our hope now is that the precise events of that day will be established in the coroners' court later in the year.

"We will continue to campaign for a change in the law, so that accountability is clearly demonstrated.

"We call on the National Assembly, local education authorities, local authorities and schools across Wales to work together and take the necessary actions to ensure school bus journeys are as safe as they can possibly be in the future."


SEE ALSO:
Support for bus safety campaign
15 Apr 03  |  South East Wales
School provides bus minder
31 Mar 03  |  Wales


RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific