Page last updated at 10:52 GMT, Friday, 7 May 2010 11:52 UK

Patient in operation at Glan Clwyd hospital hit by lamp

Glan Clwyd hospital
A surgeon and his assistant were also injured at the hospital

Safety checks have been carried out at hospitals after a patient having surgery was hit in the face by an operating theatre lamp.

An investigation was launched following the incident at Glan Clwyd hospital in Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire, last week.

A surgeon and his assistant were also injured when the lamp slipped from its bracket.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board apologised and said checks were being carried out at all its hospitals.

The lamp, weighing between 11 and 13kg, became detached from its support as it was being manoeuvred into position during an operation.

The patient, who was under anaesthetic, suffered a cut lip and has since received an apology.

The surgeon has since contacted the patient at home to explain what occurred and offer our sincere apologies
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board

One of the surgeons suffered concussion and was sent off duty for several days as a precaution.

A health board spokesperson said an investigation found that a retaining screw on a swivel bracket holding the lamp had worked loose.

Checks have been carried out in operating theatres at hospitals across the region, but no similar problems have been found.

The health board said routine maintenance is carried out on all theatre lamps.

Following the incident, an expert from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has been to Glan Clwyd to see if any lessons can be learned for the wider NHS.

The health board said in a statement: "We are very sorry that this incident occurred and that one of our patients suffered an injury as a result.

"The surgeon has since contacted the patient at home to explain what occurred and offer our sincere apologies.

"All theatre lamps are subject to routine maintenance. No previous concerns had been raised regarding the light, however investigations revealed that a retaining screw on the swivel bracket that holds the lamp had worked loose.

"As a precautionary measure, all similar fittings in the theatres in Glan Clwyd have been checked and the same checks are being carried out in the operating theatres in all our other hospitals. No similar problems have been found."

The lamp has now been "refitted onto its mounting and tightened into place to the satisfaction of the agent for the manufacturer".



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Nurses uniforms 'allergy' tests
20 Apr 10 |  North West Wales

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific