A midwife has been struck off after a pregnant woman in labour drank aromatherapy oils she was given instead of massaging them into her head.
Sandra Hughes of Ewloe, Flintshire, who has a diploma in aromatherapy, gave the oils to the woman, who had a headache.
She was found guilty of misconduct by acting outside Wrexham Maelor Hospital policies and ignoring a warning not to practise her skills on pregnant women.
A Nursing and Midwifery Council council found her guilty of misconduct.
The conduct and competence committee meeting in Cardiff concluded that she was a continued risk to patients.
The panel was told how the Mrs Hughes, 53, offered the woman a mixture of sweet almond oil, lavender and lime to ease her headache.
But the woman drank the oil. The hospital's poisons unit was alerted and she was monitored until she gave birth to a healthy baby boy.
The panel heard how she had ignored advice not to practise her skills on pregnant women.
Committee chairwoman Jillian Alderwick said: "The panel concludes she is not a safe practitioner and represents a continuing risk to patients and clients."
Mrs Hughes, who later resigned from the North East Wales NHS Trust, did not attend the hearing.