Page last updated at 14:45 GMT, Monday, 27 July 2009 15:45 UK

Search after 2003 postman murder

Police at fields in Mold on Monday
More than a dozen police officers are involved in the search

Police investigating the murder of a postman more than six years ago have begun searching fields close to where he was killed.

Paul Savage was 30 when he died on 4 February, 2003 in Mold, Flintshire, after being beaten on his round.

North Wales Police said it was looking for "evidence which will significantly progress the investigation".

The force re-launched the investigation into his death six months ago, while a £100,000 reward is still on offer.

The search centres on fields close to Bryn Gwalia School, near Clayton Road, where Mr Savage was attacked.

It involves 11 officers, two civilian investigators from the major crime unit and a scenes of crime officer.

Paul Savage
Police said they knew why Mr Savage was killed, but never elaborated

Officers appeared to be focussing along a perimeter fence which separates the school and Bodlonfa recreation ground. The fence was not there at the time of the murder.

In a short statement, North Wales Police said: "Specialist search trained officers are being utilised to search for what investigating officers describe as evidence which will significantly progress the investigation."

The case was never closed, but was "re-visited" in January.

In 2008, a reward for information on the killing was raised from £25,000 to £100,000.

Murder weapon

Mr Savage was struck on the head several times with a wooden baton, which was later recovered, and was found lying in a pool of blood on the driveway of the home of Flintshire councillor Ray Dodd.

The father-of-one, originally from Sale in Greater Manchester, died in Wrexham Maelor Hospital from head injuries following the brutal attack.

In 2005, on the second anniversary of his death, police said they knew the motive behind the murder.

At the time, Det Ch Insp Paul Loftus described the killing as a "stain on the community" and added: "I believe this inquiry is moving towards a successful conclusion."

However, the killers have never been caught and last year, on the fifth anniversary of the murder, police added a £75,000 reward to the £25,000 already offered by Royal Mail.

In February 2008, senior investigating officer Det Ch Insp Wayne Jones said he believed people in and around Mold had potentially useful evidence but had remained "tight-lipped, out of misguided loyalty, or fear of repercussions".

He said the attack had been "cowardly" and the investigation "will not close until it is resolved".



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
New probe into 2003 postman death
09 Jan 09 |  North East Wales
Postman murder reward up to 100k
04 Feb 08 |  North East Wales
Postman murder motive is known
04 Feb 05 |  North East Wales
Postman murder - family's questions
04 Feb 04 |  North East Wales
Pain of murdered postman's widow
08 Jul 04 |  Wales
New appeal on postman murder
04 Aug 03 |  North East Wales

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific