Page last updated at 08:10 GMT, Tuesday, 7 April 2009 09:10 UK

Planners back Racecourse scheme

Copy of plans detailing the development
The first phase of the development will see accommodation for 800 students

Redevelopment plans for Wrexham FC's Racecourse Ground aimed at clearing the club's debts have been approved.

Wrexham councillors voted at a planning committee meeting on Monday to allow the first phase of the development.

They also have outline permission for more student flats and the development of the East Stand/multifunction arena.

Wrexham Supporters Trust wanted a deal which linked the student accommodation to the provision of a new stand. The club rejected the trust's concerns.

The scheme's three phases would see accommodation for 800 students at nearby Glyndwr University, as well as a redevelopment of the Kop stand.

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders was at the meeting to show his support for the scheme.

The supporters' trust has launched an objection to the proposals and leaders of the trust spoke at the meeting.

They claim binding agreements they thought would be linked to the plans to pay off the club's debts, aimed at safeguarding the stadium's future, were missing.

Kop stand

In January, the supporters' trust said it feared plans for a 15,000-seat stadium had been scrapped.

It claimed the development plans at the Racecourse ground would not allow sufficient space to increase the size of the Kop stand.

Wrexham FC rejected the concerns, saying the development was still at its first stage.

Former player Dixie McNeill, who was at Monday night's meeting, said the supporters' trust concerns were probably down to a lack of reassurances.

He said: "They probably realise that phase one will go through and there is not, if you like, specific guarantees that phases two and three will go through."

Wrexham manager Dean Saunders said he thought the development was a 'step forward'.

He said he trusted chairman Geoff Moss and the supporters' trust did not have the close working relationship with him that he had.

Consortium

He said: "It's a great chance for the club to get itself out debt."

The club went into administration in 2004 with debts of around £4m, before being bought out by a consortium led by local businessman Neville Dickens.

Mr Dickens's 50% shareholding was bought in 2008 by travel agent Geoff Moss, who now has a controlling interest in the club.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Supporters' fears over stand size
21 Jan 09 |  North East Wales
Club owner 'washes hands' of fans
23 Sep 08 |  North East Wales
Wrexham fans prepare for drop
18 Apr 08 |  North East Wales
Town's stadium 'need' recognised
16 Apr 08 |  North East Wales
Politician 'lends Wrexham 500k'
27 Sep 06 |  Wales

RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific