Page last updated at 15:39 GMT, Monday, 11 August 2008 16:39 UK

Council opposes new landfill plan

Parry's Quarry
Some locals say the area has had too many landfill sites over the years

A council which exports waste to a neighbouring county will oppose plans for a controversial new landfill site.

Flintshire councillors deferred a decision on Parry's Quarry, near Buckley, in February, but had been expected to approve plans this time.

However, they voted 18-2 in favour of opposing the scheme when it goes to a public inquiry in the autumn.

The firm behind the plans said Flintshire spends a reported 4m a year sending waste to Wrexham.

An inquiry was called after councillors deferred a decision earlier this year, wanting more information.

Monday's result came despite recommendations from officers that councillors offered no objection to Parry's Quarry at the inquiry.

Most members were opposed because they considered the application to be premature.

Parry's Quarry, near Pinfold Lane, at Alltami, would process domestic and commercial waste.

The application has been made by construction group Robin Jones & Sons. Director Ian Jones said some Flintshire residents backed the plan.

Health concerns

He said: "They've seen the reported 4m a year cost that it is costing to transport the waste from Flintshire to Wrexham. That's making something like 11,000 wagon journeys a year.

"The carbon footprint's got to be pretty horrendous just on that score alone - just because Flintshire doesn't have their landfill facility, which is what we're offering them."

However, the project is opposed by the Local Issues Action Group, which said there are too many old landfill sites in the area, which are now inactive.

Opponents also have concerns for the health of local residents.

Some said the area already has several tips and the application was being heard before a strategy on waste in north Wales was in place.

Resident John Ivor said: "We've lived with it [landfill] for 30 years. We know the outcome of it now. If these applications go through, we have no prospect for the next 30 years."




SEE ALSO
Residents oppose landfill plans
08 Feb 08 |  North East Wales
Council defers landfill decision
18 Feb 08 |  North East Wales
Quarry's landfill plans revealed
08 Dec 06 |  North East Wales
Concern raised over quarry plans
16 Mar 05 |  North East Wales
Firm unveils landfill site plan
10 Apr 03 |  North East Wales

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific