Page last updated at 14:35 GMT, Saturday, 10 May 2008 15:35 UK

Boy sleeps on as lightning hits

Lightning flash in Swansea (pic: Lee Fox)

A three-year-old boy has slept through a lightning strike which blew a hole in his bedroom wall.

Elis Roberts's parents found him fast asleep in his room, which was covered in masonry, plaster and dust.

The lightning blew all the light bulbs and electrical equipment in the house and other homes in the Flintshire road as storms hit north Wales.

"We have been so very lucky," said his mother Pat Mulreay, of Edwin Drive, Flint, after Saturday morning's strike.

"It could have been a lot worse."

The lightning hit Edwin Drive at about 0045 BST as many parts of Wales experienced thunder and lightning and some had flash flooding.

The blast, heard throughout the neighbourhood, sent debris all over the bedroom, covered in Liverpool Football Club posters and other memorabilia.

I said, 'what the hell was that?'
Iestyn Roberts, Elis's father, on the moment lightning struck

The strike at their dormer bungalow home knocked out their television, video and Sky box, and those in other homes in the street.

Ms Mulreay, who also has a one-year-old baby son Deryn, said she was nodding off when she heard a noise like "a massive explosion."

Initially, she could not make out what it was, and neighbours went out into the street.

It turned out that lightning had hit the gable end of her house and exploded breeze blocks in the wall, leaving a hole high up the wall of Elis' bedroom.

But they found him safe and well, and blissfully unaware of the drama going on around him. "He didn't even wake up," said his mother.

The electrical wiring was intact, but all bulbs and electrical equipment were blown.

Elis's father Iestyn Roberts, a senior team leader at a local food factory, said he was fast asleep when he was woken by a huge bang.

"We both sat up," he said. "I said, 'what the hell was that?' It was all dark."

He found the hole in the wall between the upper stairs and Elis' bedroom.

"The main thing is that everyone was OK," he said. "The firemen were brilliant.

"They checked everything before leaving and even fitted a couple of modern smoke alarms because they said ours, which had been here since before we bought the house, were old."

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the strike had not started a fire, but they had ensured that everything in the property was safe.




SEE ALSO
Flood risk fear over key UK sites
07 May 08 |  UK Politics

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific