A Portuguese firm which dropped plans for a controversial £25m waste incinerator on the outskirts of Wrexham has unveiled its fresh proposal.
The incinerator would have been built on land at an industrial estate
HLC previously wanted to build a waste recovery centre which would house an incinerator on the town's industrial estate.
It shelved the proposal last year amid local health concerns.
The company said that its new proposal for a recycling centre will no longer include an incinerator.
The new scheme is for a heat treatment process for waste using pyrolysis and gasification.
HLC chairman Horacio Luis Carvalho has previously said the new plans would reduce harmful emissions.
Under the scheme the new centre will be able to handle 160,000 tonnes of waste annually, including all Wrexham's rubbish and its annual growth of three per cent for the next 25 years.
However, local campaign group TCC has said it still has concerns.
"It's a different from of combustion and we need to see," said TCC spokeswoman Chris Pilsbury.
"We do need new ways of treating waste and actually they're coming forward all the time. There are other ways of dealing with waste," she added.
Currently, 88% of the county's waste goes to landfill and the Welsh assembly has set tough new measures to reduce this figure.
The new centre would aim to recycle waste and what it could not recycle would be put through a heat treatment process.
HLC is keen to stress that this system is not the same as incineration.
Last November Wrexham councillors voted against the original planning application.
In May a public inquiry into the waste incinerator was cancelled.
The assembly made the decision after HLC changed its application.
A spokesman for the company said Tuesday's briefing is the beginning of a major public consultation on their plans.
The new recycling centre would have been built on the former BICC site on the town's industrial estate however the land has now been sold.
HLC now plan to build the plant on the former site of Owens Corning, a fibre glass factory which announced its closure in December 2002.
If the plans get the go-ahead, construction work would begin next year and the site could be fully operational by 2007.