The investigation by the Metropolitan Police into the unsolved murder of a Welsh private detective in 1987 could be subjected to an independent probe.
Nobody has yet stood trial for Mr Morgan's murder 18 years ago
Daniel Morgan's mother, from Powys, claims the 37-year-old was killed with an axe in London after unearthing evidence of police corruption.
The former Police Complaints Authority did not support the allegations.
Members of the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) will be asked to back the review on Thursday.
No one has ever been prosecuted for the murder despite a number of investigations by police during the last 18 years.
If given the go-ahead, the MPA review will examine the decisions of the police and prosecuting authorities.
Under the plans, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair could be asked to produce a report about the case by January next year. This would be shared with the Morgan family.
A barrister would then be appointed to review the murder case's papers and all subsequent investigations.
A report to be presented to the MPA says: "It is the chair's view that although this murder took place some 18 years ago, there are a number of unanswered questions which must continue to cast doubt on the integrity of the police service.
"He considers that an independent review, with a focussed brief, would be a constructive and necessary way forward."
Mr Morgan, from Islington, north London, but originally from Llanfrechfa, Monmouthshire, was found in the car park of the Golden Lion pub in Sydenham, south London, in 1987 with an axe embedded in his head.
He had been the co-owner of a firm called Southern Investigations, which employed off-duty police officers.
His mother, Isobel Hulsmann, 77, from Hay-on-Wye, visited the crime scene for the first time on 10 March, the anniversary of his death.
A second request for a public inquiry was turned down in December 2004.
Mrs Hulsmann, and her other son, Alastair Morgan, 56, from north London, have been campaigning for years for an indepedent review of the case.
They had their first request for a public inquiry turned down in July 2004.
Home Office Minister Hazel Blears met the family in October last year, and agreed to investigate their allegations.
Although she declined to launch a public inquiry two months later, in a letter to the Morgans' solicitor, Mrs Blears said the first investigation by the Metropolitan Police into the murder has been "less than satisfactory in a number of respects".