[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 11 August, 2005, 09:11 GMT 10:11 UK
Mother's Thai murder scene visit
Kirsty Jones
Kirsty Jones was three months into a round-the-world trip
The mother of murdered backpacker Kirsty Jones has laid a wreath at the Thai guest house where her daughter was killed five years ago.

Sue Jones and her son Gareth visited the travellers' hostel in Chiang Mai for the first time on Thursday.

A day earlier, prosecutors in Thailand agreed to re-investigate the murder of the 23-year-old, from Tredomen, near Brecon.

Kirsty was raped and strangled at Aree guest house in northern Thailand.

'Very encouraged'

Sue and Gareth Jones, who were accompanied by British Embassy officials and Detective Superintendent Steve Wilkins of Dyfed-Powys Police, are due back in Wales on Saturday.

The Joneses said they were "very encouraged" after meeting Thailand's Attorney General Kampree Kaocharern on Wednesday.

Picture of Kirsty Jones' mother Sue
Kirsty Jones' mother Sue laid the wreath on Thursday

Thai officials said the meeting looked at how local authorities could work with the British police to uncover new evidence and reopen the case.

Officials in the country said last week that they would review the case, but following a meeting with Ms Jones' family they have now agreed to re-investigate the death.

This will be the third inquiry into the murder of the Liverpool University graduate who was three months into a two-year round-the-world trip when she was murdered on 10 August 2000.

Her body was found in her room at the 1-a-night Aree guest house in Chiang Mai, more than 400 miles north of the capital Bangkok.

There have been several arrests in the investigation, none of which has led to a conviction.

The Royal Thai Police were criticised after the murder for allowing, reporters, into the murder scene.

But the investigation has now been placed in the hands of Thailand's FBI, known as the DSI, the Department of Special Investigations.

On Wednesday, two officers from Dyfed-Powys Police and British ambassador to Thailand David Fall, also met staff from the Thai public prosecution office.

After the meeting, Sue Jones said: "We are very encouraged by the fact that a new investigation is to take place and appeal to anybody with any information to please contact the Department of Special Investigation."

Family's hope in murder hunt
10 Aug 04 |  Wales
New backpacker murder hunt
07 Aug 03 |  Wales

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific