BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 

Thursday, 26 October, 2000, 15:22 GMT 16:22 UK
Couple 'raped five-month-old baby'

A Welsh couple's five-month-old baby girl was raped while she was in the care of another man and woman, a court was told.

At Stafford crown court, the jury was warned by Mr Justice Sachs that the evidence they would see and hear would be "extremely distressing."

David Souter and Joyce Homer, both aged 48, deny raping the baby last August.

Homer, aged 47, denies an alernative charge of indecently assaulting the child and one further charge of indecent assault.

for the prosecution, Rachel Brand said that the child, who cannot be named, was assaulted and raped while Souter and Homer were babysitting for her mother while she and her boyfriend went for a meal.

'Friend called police'

She said the couple, who are from Wales, had been staying with the defendants while they looked for somewhere to live.

Miss Brand alleged the attack did not come to light until Homer gave the pictures to a friend and asked for them to be destroyed.

"He looked at them and when he saw them he rang the police," said Miss Brand.

She told the jury the couple had admitted taking indecent photographs, and that Souter had admitted indecent assault.

"David Souter told police that these photographs had been carefully posed and penetration did not occur," said Miss Brand.

"He said he planned to use them to spice up his sex life with Joyce Homer."

Child 'suffered injuries'

Miss Brand said Homer claimed to be frightened of Souter and he forced her to take part, but also said the child was not raped.

Paediatric specialist Dr Kine Thin Han told the court she had examined the baby in January, and described the injuries suffered by the child to her private parts.

Dr Han said her injuries were consistant with the child having been penetrated.

The baby's mother told the jury she did not notice any physical signs in the following days. The trial continues.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories