Page last updated at 12:13 GMT, Saturday, 30 January 2010

Neighbours' smoke alarms save woman with kitchen fire

Fire chiefs said the importance of smoke alarms was shown when a woman was found unconscious in her kitchen after her neighbours' alarms were triggered.

Crews found the woman slumped on the kitchen floor at her smoke-logged home in Holywell, Flintshire, at around 2340 GMT on on Friday.

The 41-year-old was taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

Chris Nott, of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, praised the neighbours' alertness.

He said: "Had the neighbours not heard the alarm and responded by calling 999, we could very easily have been dealing with another fire death.

"This incident clearly highlights the importance of smoke alarms and the role neighbours, friends and family play in helping to protect the residents of north Wales.

"The fire appears to have started when the cooker was left on accidentally - it is very important to check over cooking appliances to ensure that everything has been switched off correctly after use and remember to never leave cooking unattended for any length of time."

Crews from Holywell and Flint attended the fire.



Print Sponsor


RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific