Page last updated at 12:15 GMT, Thursday, 17 December 2009

Cooking warning to Bangor students after two fires

Bangor University, Gwynedd
Fire fighters say both blazes were caused by unattended cooking

Fire officers are appealing to students at Bangor University to be vigilant after a second blaze in week.

Students had to be evacuated from the Bryn Dinas hall in the city in the early hours of Thursday following a kitchen fire.

On Wednesday, fire fighters were called to the neighbouring Reichel hall after unattended cooking burst into flames.

The North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said they fear the next incident in the halls could result in casualties.

Mike Plant from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "Despite our warnings at Bangor University this week as well as at the beginning of term, students are continuing to demonstrate careless behaviour when it comes to fire safety.

"We are concerned the next time we get called to a halls of residence we will be faced with casualties or even worse, the loss of life."

In Thursday's incident, fire crews from Bangor and Menai Bridge on Anglesey were called to Bryn Dinas hall at 04.25 GMT.

Breathing apparatus has to be used to tackle the fire in a ground floor kitchen.

Cooking and drinking

On Wednesday, fire crews had to fight a blaze in the first floor of a kitchen in the student block at Reichel hall, leaving the area heavily smoke-logged.

In both cases, the cause of the fires had been unattended cooking.

The fire service added: ""When you turn your back on your cooking, it only takes a few minutes for a small fire to develop into one that is serious and life threatening and it is often a recipe for disaster.

"If you've been drinking you're even more vulnerable as you're at high risk of being distracted of falling asleep."

Both fires occurred during a week when 21-year-old Steven Grimes, from Rhyl, died after a fire caused by leaving a chip pan unattended.

It comes as the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service also launched a campaign to highlight the dangers of cooking after drinking in Gwynedd and Denbighshire after a number of lucky escapes in the run up to the Christmas party season.

Statistics across the UK show that the majority of accidental domestic fires begin in the kitchen.

In 2007, Sean Bowers, 24, from Penyffordd and Andrew Roberts, 39, from Ruthin, both died following separate fires in their homes - both caused by chip pans.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Man, 21, dies after chip pan fire
16 Dec 09 |  North East Wales
Elderly man's burns in house fire
13 Dec 09 |  Wales
Drinking and cooking fire warning
11 Dec 09 |  Wales



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific