Page last updated at 13:59 GMT, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 14:59 UK

Bridge protest over opencast mine

Ffos-y-Fran
The opencast mine Ffos-y-Fran overlooks Merthyr Tydfil

A protest by climate activists has stopped work at a controversial opencast mine in south Wales.

Two men suspended themselves from a net under a new bridge near the Ffos-y-Fran site close to Merthyr Tydfil.

Miller Argent, the company which runs the site, confirmed that the 242 workers at the site were sitting idle.

The men said they were stopping lorries transporting materials from going in and out of the site. South Wales Police are at the scene.

The protest is taking place at a bridge which has been constructed by the company near the site.

Argent Miller joint managing director James Poyner said: "For safety reasons we cannot operate beneath them.

These people are preventing other people from getting on with their lawful occupation
James Poyner, Argent Miller

"They have brought a substantial element of the works to a stop for their safety.

Mr Poyner said the two protesters were discovered at 0630 BST, and the company has not been able to start work there.

He said: "This is aggravated trespass. These people are preventing other people from getting on with their lawful occupation".

One of the protesters, Paul Jones, said they had been suspended since 0400 BST and police and Argent Miller management have been talking to them to try and persuade them to get down themselves.

He said police have a cherry picker on site which they might use to get them down.

Lawful protest

The protesters said they have come prepared to stay for quite a while and that more would be arriving later.

Assistant chief constable Dave Morris of South Wales Police said: "Police officers are currently dealing with an incident involving two protestors at a location near the Ffos-y-Fran opencast mine.

"For health and safety reasons, the road known locally as the Bogey Road, has been closed. The police have a responsibility to safeguard the rights of people to go about their lawful business, whilst at the same time, to facilitate peaceful protest.

"Any policing response will be proportionate.

Mr Morris added:"I would like to reassure the public that we will be working closely with our partners, including Miller Argent, to resolve this matter and we will also be communicating with the protesters at the same time."

In August, campaigners set up climate change camp near the mine for a three-day protest

Work to mine 10m tonnes of coal over 17 years from Ffos-y-Fran began in June 2007 after a public inquiry.



Print Sponsor


SEE ALSO
Life in the shadow of a coal mine
24 Jan 09 |  Wales
Buffer zones for new coal mines
20 Jan 09 |  Wales
Arrests after coal mine protests
01 Apr 08 |  South East Wales
Opencast buffer zone is debated
04 Mar 08 |  South East Wales
Protest halts opencast mine work
05 Dec 07 |  South East Wales
Protests at opencast mine launch
08 Nov 07 |  South East Wales
Go-ahead for huge opencast mine
27 Nov 06 |  South East Wales
Assembly to fight opencast rebuff
20 Jan 06 |  Wales

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific